TBK cooks more meatballs- these ones are Minty and spicy- warning- contain BEEF! - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, June 28, 2021

TBK cooks more meatballs- these ones are Minty and spicy- warning- contain BEEF!

  

Regular readers will know that Corleen and I like making meatballs! A few months ago he helped me make Jamie Oliver's Great British Meatballs - you can read about them by clicking the link below:

Jamie's Big Balls

Before I went away I made Pudinay Vale Kofte which my Indian friends will know are Minty Beef Meatballs - and they come from my other favourite Recipe book


The growth of Indian food in the UK is amazing and I included some great statistics in my earlier blog which you can read by clicking here:

Curry consumption in the UK

So here are the ingredients for the Minty Beef meatballs:

Source: Jaffrey, M 2021: Madhur Jaffrey’s Curry Nation, Britain’s 100 favourite curries. London: Ebury Press.

It looks complicated but its made in 3 parts:

  1. The Onion paste
  2. The meatballs
  3. The sauce


Let us start with the
Onion Paste:

Slice two onions and fry until they are brown all over in 3 tablespoons of Olive or Sunflower oil. Soak 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds in hot water for 10 minutes then drain and crush in a pestle and mortar.


                              Making the Minty BEEF meatballs

Now the Minty BEEF meatballs

Put all the ingredients with 1 tablespoon of the Onion paste into a food processor (mine is in Palawan so I just mixed them by hand) . Using your wetted palms ( or the plastic gloves from Tata Ed's Boodle fight) shape the meat into 4 centimeter meatballs (see picture at the top of the blog).


                                        Cooking the Sauce

Finally The Sauce:

Take a large saucepan ( 25 cm diameter) ( or in my case two small ones!) and heat  3 tablespoons of Olive or Sunflower oil. Then add two tablespoons of the onion paste and brown for 2 to 3 minutes ( see photo above)

Reduce the heat to low and add the turmeric, cumin seeds, coriander, chili powder and salt. Mix well and add a splash of boiling water if the spices stick. Now add the poppy seeds ( see the Onion paste section above for their preparation) and the Kashmiri chili powder. Sir and fry until the oil separates and the sauce is cooked.

Finally stir in the yogurt and add 180 ml of hot water. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes. Add the meatballs , cover and cook on a low heat for 30 minutes. Then, wait for it Max, there really is mint in the minty meat balls, you tear the mint leaves and add to the sauce! Stir gently to mix them in and serve.'

PS there are 3 shredded mint leaves in the meatballs too! But there is more cow than Mint!

            

               TBK Cooks presents : Pudinay vale Kofte or Minty Beef Meatballs 

Now there are only two things missing from this Blog which I know my readers love and hate. 

They hate me quoting from Wikipedia but my role is to educate through my blogs so here we go:

"Overall, India consumes the least amount of meat per capita. Hindus who do eat meat, often distinguish all other meat from beef. The respect for cow is part of Hindu belief, and most Hindus avoid meat sourced from cow as cows are treated as a motherly giving animal, considered as another member of the family."

Source : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_in_Hinduism ( accessed 29.6.21)   


                               Mystery Man Max comes for dinner

My readers love my stories- so here we go. I invited my famous Guest Blogger, Max ( Max's first Blog) who has now recovered from COV 19, for dinner and gave him a choice of the three Indian dishes I had prepared and you can read about in my blog:

  • Minty meatballs
  • Goan Prawn Curry
  • Keralan fish curry
He selected the meatballs which I cooked with rice and then I thought to myself- He is a Hindu and  they do not eat beef ( see the Wikipedia quote above ). When I asked him he said that he thought the meat balls were made of MINT! So that's why I put the warning in the blog title and throughout the blog I put the word BEEF in capitals! I ate the meatballs and cooked him the Kerala Fish curry, which being from Kerala, he loved!

If you missed it you can find the Keralan Fish curry recipe here:

TBK cooks- Keralan Fish Curry

Well that's all from our Indian Kitchen for this month, but TBK will be back cooking some more tasty recipes for our dear readers soon.



Until then stay safe, wear your mask, keep your distance, wash your hands and do not eat anything you should not!

For my Kabayan- Ingat Palagi , Kita Kits, Inshallah!




No comments:

Post a Comment