TBK travels to Palawan , finally- my first week in Puerto Princessa - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Saturday, April 30, 2022

TBK travels to Palawan , finally- my first week in Puerto Princessa



                                 Sunrise at the Microtel in Puerto Princessa in Palawan

After a horrendously long wait in the overcrowded NAIA4 in Manila, a cancelled flight and a delayed flight , Air Asia flight Z2 430 finally touched down in Puerto Princess around 6pm instead of the scheduled 3pm. 


                               The sun starts to rise and lights up the sky

The Microtel Van was patiently waiting and we were soon at the hotel on the Emerald Playa Beach & Nature Park in San Jose in Puerto Princessa. I was given the usual warm welcome by Alma and Nitin and taken to my usual suite, room 101, next to the restaurant , sea and the pool! I first stayed here in 2013 with Drew and again in 2014, then TJ and Jhe stayed here on 18/19 December 2021 ( the day after Typhoon Odette hit the island) . I unpacked and as the restaurant was closed missed dinner.

I am afraid we are a bit behind with our blogs due to the ongoing financial crisis but I will soon be learning to edit my own videos and we will then be able to get them out a lot quicker. So do not forget to subscribe to our You Tube channel and click on the notification bell so you know when the Puerto Vlog is uploaded ( 9.5.22)

CHESTER PLEASE EMBED THE VLOG HERE

The next day I rose early and took some photos on the beach before being served breakfast by Marvyn in Senordamla Restaurant owned by my dear friend ( and friend of Mama Jam), Chef Arnel. 


            Room 101, the home of TBK blog for my first week in Palawan

I rearranged the room so I could sit by the patio doors looking out to sea as I wrote and when it was too hot and sunny to sit outside. On the second day my little rental car for the next year, a beautiful orange Toyota Wigo ( 850  peso a day , 6 bd or £12) was delivered.


                              My rental car for the year ahead

After driving around the car park twice ( old habits die hard Mr Conway!) I set off to get some shopping from Robinson's Mall and have lunch at Gerry's Grill.

It was here that I ate with Jhoanna and Danica back in 2019 . As the girls had no idea that I was in Palawan at that time I kept nervously looking around in case they walked by!

After lunch I bought two pair of shoes ( red and blue) and asked him to order me a black pair for May. I first bought 3 pairs here in 2019 but Corleen threw them out at Christmas 2021  and gave me two black pairs! So now I have 5 pairs of shoes and a pair of Sketchers trainers, all very comfortable slip-on shoes, and several pairs of Tsinellas! No need to tie up my shoes any more Riel!


       Stocking up on comfortable new shoes- 500 peso in 2019, 600 peso now!

I ate out in the evening as Gracie was fully booked and then ordered a Dumplings delivery for my third night from Poochies Kitchen ( sarap- Salamat Gracie!) as Chef Arnel was still closed at night.  While in Robinson's I saw a Mural that my friend Arjen helped paint and took a selfie in front of it. 

 

         TBK in front of the Mural Arjen worked on - "Painting Palawan Green"

It was only after I posted it on Facebook I realised that TJ and Jhe might recognise it, like the photo of the dinner I had with Chester in Mall of Asia and the Philippine phone number on the Baklava from Geo, that I also erroneously posted on Facebook! However they did not see any of my errors and  managed to convince them that the picture of Chester and I having dinner in Mall of Asia, Manila, was an April fool!

                      Chester and I eating in Manila - April Fool said TJ!

In between the rain showers I had a good week in Puerto , getting my washing done and visiting SM Mall. Here l got some Pasalubong (and Meryenda) and made some useful contacts . We had lots of leisurely breakfasts by the pool and my contacts shared helpful advice on buying land in Palawan . I also went to Bakers Hill ( see separate Blog Bakers Hill) and then moved on to Port Barton to see Adam and Rose and the family ( https://thebritishkabayan.blogspot.com/2022/04/tbk-travels-to-port-barton-palawan-in.html )


                                  My new contacts made at Microtel

There was great excitement during my stay when we thought VP Leni was going to stay , but in the end it was just her PR people and advance party. The restaurant at the hotel remained closed another night as Chef Arnell was asked to cook for Leni at the Boardwalk where she held a rally.

You can find out more about the Microtel by visiting their website :

https://www.microtel-palawan.com/

Chef Arnel's restaurant Senordamla has its own Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Senordamla-Restaurant-by-Chef-Arnel-102103811357911/?_rdr

Special thanks to Mervyn who looked after us so well every breakfast and Manager on Duty , Nitin and receptionist Alma. I shall return!

Kita kits and Ingat Palagi

 


No comments:

Post a Comment