TBK travels- week 15- Salalah, Oman and my return to Bahrain - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, October 18, 2021

TBK travels- week 15- Salalah, Oman and my return to Bahrain

 


                     Being overtaken by a camel on the way to Mirabat!

I learnt in Salalah that there are more camels per head of population in Oman than anywhere else in the world. In the old days they used to be treated badly like elephants, carrying heavy weights long distances, being raced, and ridden and paraded on the beach for tourist photos. However now in Oman they have the same status as a cow in India and are treated with great respect. As you drive down the highway and a group of camels are grazing in the central reservation the traffic puts on hazard lights and slows down to pass them. We also stopped for cows and goats. 


 The Frankincense museum, a few Kilometers from the Crowne Plaza in Salalah

My taxi driver complained constantly that pre covid did 4 tours a week at 80 Omani Riyals ( 80 bd , 160 GBP) and now he only makes 2 OR a trip ( the standard rate in Salalah ( apart form the Crown Plaza where it's 5 bd!!). He also complained that the petrol had gone up from 8 OR to 18 OR a tank. After my 70 km trip for 35 OR he settled for 7 OR a day to take me to and from the Crowne Plaza. However he would divert from the route to go to the Prophet's tomb ( closed) , the fish and fruit market etc. On one day he took me to the Frankincense Museum and Al Baleed Archeological city, which I had visited back in 2014. I spent an enjoyable hour there walking in the grounds before it opened at 9 am and then touring the museum. Then I saw the many videos and exhibits showing how Oman had grown under the wise Leadership of the late Sultan Qaboos, one of the most respected Leaders in the Gulf. 


  This map shows how protected Salalah is by the Dhofar mountains behind the city

 

                                        The history of the Al Baleed archeological city

I also did my final few sessions of cardio in the gym and had a swim and Thai massage and walked along the beach. I visited Ocean Blue and Dolphin Terraza, and on my last day they opened the beach as the high tides and heavy waves that follow the Kharif ( Monsoon) had subsided. I also bought chocolates for the staff at both the Crowne Plaza and Grand Flora Hotels for looking after me so well. I did some more work on my PADI Open water eLearning modules and said my thanks and farewell to Cristina, Abi, Yousif and the team at ABT divers.


         Yousif and Alex after my first Open water dive at Eagle bay

Finally it was time to board the plane at Salalah's modern airport and Mohd Ali, my Salalah driver took me there and I gave him a nice tip. My titanium hip set off the alarm as usual, they did not ask for the PCR test results I had gone to the hospital at 10 pm the night before and paid 25 bd for , and they ignored the fact that my bags weighed 32 kg and checked them in all the way to Bahrain. When I got on the plane a very pretty ice Omani lady was sat in my window seat and offered to move but I let her stay and a small Filipino came and squeezed in between us. The flight took off on time and I had a chicken roll, water and juice on the 1 hour 40 minute journey to Muscat. Then I had to walk miles at the new Muscat International airport to join the 1 hour 40 minute Oman air flight to Bahrain. I jumped for joy when finally on my 4th Oman air flight in a month the window seat I had reserved and paid for was empty!  I had a chicken roll, water and juice ( Deja vu!)


My last Omani Taxi- a sight I will not miss- it will be nice to use a taxi where the driver does not constantly moan, overcharge, has a meter and knows where he is going!

 
                                The amazing view from my new apartment in Hidd


Oman air have still not responded to my 3 complaint emails so I will not be flying with them again. The new Bahrain International airport was very welcoming and efficient with PCR tests in the baggage area ( which following Shawn's advice I had already paid for and registered using the Be Aware App in Salalah) , my baggage waiting , and a taxi outside ready to take me to my new apartment. Whilst he knew where it was and had a meter he moaned that he had been waiting since 10.30 am in the queue to be the number one taxi as there were so few arrivals! My flight landed at 3 pm, I was in the taxi at 3.40 am and at my new apartment in Hidd at 4pm. They showed me around the flat to check I was happy with it ( new property with gym and pool and my flat is on the 13th floor with amazing views of the sea and Juffair and Manama) before giving me 100 bd discount off the booking.com price for my 2 month stay. 


          My new apartment in Nooh Tower at Hidd- 350 bd a month

I got my PCR test result through the Be Aware app on Wednesday eve, had chicken and rice from the downstairs restaurant ( 24/7 with delivery, and the same for the Supermarket) and yet again I tested Negative!


        My beautifully ironed tee shirts in rainbow colour order ( ROY G BIV) 

On Thursday Corleen delivered my ironing ( from the dirty clothes I left him in July) and all my things from my old flat in Juffair which he had kindly stored for 3 months. When he went to work at 10 am my hire car arrived and I went to Awali to deliver Pasalubong ( gifts) to Hazel and Dino and then back to Juffair with a sandwich lunch to collect Rew for a Thai massage. As he had to go to work I went for dinner at Tony Roma and had one of their amazing steaks with pepper sauce, corn on the cob , coleslaw and lemon mint. My regular Filipino waitress said how nice it was to see me again. 


                               The Think Pink poster boy for 2021!

On Friday Corleen overslept so I collected Coco and met Corleen and Miss Andrea at the Bapco club to help them celebrate THINK PINK- Breast cancer . It is celebrated all over Bahrain with charity events to raise money for research and as so many friends have suffered from Breast Cancer I was only too happy to be the Bapco club official Think Pink Poster boy for 2021! I have not been to the club since I left Bapco in February and I was so impressed by the renovations there - and also the new Head Chef from the Four Seasons. For 11 years I had been to the 5 or 6 bd Brunch in the Ballroom which was always packed with 200 people and they put on a huge all you can eat buffet. However COV 19 has put a stop to that and the Bapco club ballroom is being renovated, so Brunch has moved to the new restaurant and is plated ( and as a consequence costs 10 bd!) 


      Corleen, Miss Andrea and Coco with our bread selection and pink napkins

My guests opted for the Sushi, prepared by the Chef at the Sushi station. I had the Hummus and other starters served at the table. We missed the soup and then had our plated main courses. Two of us had Roast Beef and two had the Salmon. The dessert featured the new Bapco signature Tira Misu and there were some min apple pies ( the long serving expats would not eat at the club without the Traditional Bapco Pie which has been a firm favourite since 1935!) . However everyone voted the star of the meal as being the most amazing buttery small cheesecakes. Well done to the Kitchen and restaurant teams for an amazing transformation , including beautiful new china ! It is a very brave person who tries to change the way things have always been at the Bapco club ( shway shway, the Bapco way ) but I think they have done an excellent job and would highly recommend you pay them a visit. 


                                               The Sushi


                                              The starters


                                               The desserts



                          Numbers are limited so book in advance

After all that food I went back to my apartment and slept! And so ended my first few days back in Bahrain

I hope you enjoyed all the holiday blogs. We will be back in Dubai in Mid December

Until then...

Ingat Palagi

Kita Kits

Mahal Kita

from The British Kabayan ( TBK) back in Bahrain from his travels!



No comments:

Post a Comment