TBK Eats- at The Frying Scotsman - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Friday, July 2, 2021

TBK Eats- at The Frying Scotsman


              The Friday gang celebrate the end of Lockdown at the Frying Scotsman

Where better than to celebrate the end of lockdown than "Bahrain's 1 and only authentic Scottish chipper. Serving up all the great classics with Haddock, Sausages, Puddings and pies all the way from the North East of Scotland"

Source: http://www.findglocal.com/BH/Al-%60Adliyah/100972457942138/The-Frying-Scotsman ( accessed 2.7.21)


It is of course The Frying Scotsman Chipper in Adilya and we were given a very warm welcome from the whole family as their first dine in Customers after the Lockdown.

My Pinoy friends were unfamiliar with Scottish Fish and Chips so they talked them through the menu explaining the portion sizes and differences in taste of the many old and new items on the menu. 


As none of The Friday gang drink Alcohol we ordered chilled water and Jake opted for the Roast Dinner while the rest of us had Fish & Chips. Beshy had Cod Fillet and Corleen and I had Haddock. As we waited for the food to be freshly cooked to order I showed the guys around ( Regular readers of the Blog and Viewers of my Blog will know that I am a Suki / Regular customer here. 


There are wonderful photos of Scotland everywhere and flags on the ceiling, which bought many happy memories back of when I used to work and Vacation in Scotland. Of course , Tatay told lots of stories about his former life in the UK when a 7 hour drive to run a training Course at VWS Westgarth was quite normal! Here in Bahrain I get exhausted if I have to drive for 7 minutes ( the distance The Frying Scotsman is from my Flat in Juffair).


Beshy kept the owners kids and us entertained with his high Fives and Tik Tok moves and Jake busied himself sending top secret messages from his encrypted phone , while Corleen gave me further Vlogging training ( it was the first time I had used the small tripod which I will take with me to Dubai) .


Being Pinoys everyone took selfies and uploaded them to Facebook, "My Story", Instagram and the Social Media, and we had some group photos and got photobombed by the Owner, who personally cooked our fish and chips under the close supervision of his loyal assistant and kids!


People always ask why I like this place so much and as we drove home Beshy, Corleen and Jake were excitedly chatting about the ambiance, warm welcome, great food, and friendly atmosphere. When Jake was served his Roast Beef and Chicken she proudly pointed out that they now served Horseradish sauce based on the feedback from our last visit when we had 3 Roasts to Take away during the Lockdown. I also noticed that they had removed the Blue covering on the door ( see the old picture near the top of the blog) which made it very dark inside ( I used to imagine I was walking into a sex shop in the UK as I am told that they always had to cover the windows so people could not see inside. I had previously learnt that they cannot remove all the window covering as they serve alcohol. However it's always great when restaurants act on your feedback. 

As Ken Blanchard said "Feedback is the Breakfast of Champions"

Talking of Breakfast ( for Beshy and Corleen as Jake and I celebrated the end of the Lockdown at 8. 30 am with a full English breakfast at Dome in Riffa!) the beautiful hot freshly cooked food soon arrived and we all tucked in.


Beshy's cod fillet- the chips are freshy made daily from potatoes and are HUGE

One of the questions on everyone's lips post lockdown with COV 19 is

                                    "Is the place clean?"

When we arrived there were 4 people cleaning every part of the premises ( as I said we were their first dine in customers for nearly two months) and the beauty of the inside windows on the cooking area is you can see how clean the equipment is kept as you watch your food cooked. It also prevents any germs getting on the food. All the staff wore masks and gloves and there was sanitizer on every table , all of which was very reassuring.


Jakes Roast chicken and Beef came with Horseradish sauce, creamy mashed potato ,Roast Potatoes,  carrots and cauliflower and Cranberry sauce ! He could not eat it all and so shared it with the gang, and we gave him some of our fish.

While we were eating the staff came and checked we were enjoying the meal and asking if we had any feedback, answering various of our questions ( like where did you get the Horseradish Sauce!) and catching up on what we had been doing during the lockdown.


Eventually it was time to pay the cashier ( I swear the staff here are getting younger) and she waved and gave us all High Fives as we left!


From Beshy's story on Facebook- I think he has a new Tik Tok Fan- do not forget to like and Subscribe!


I should also add for my Football loving friends that they have large screen TV's and show the big matches, so what better way to cheer your team on than with a few beers and some Scottish Pies and chips?


I am not sure if Santa is there from last year or ready for December!

There is plenty of seating at the Bar, on High and family tables or you can have your food delivered by Talabat or collect it as I usually do. I guess what I am trying to say overall is that there is something for everyone at The Frying Scotsman!

Another unusual courtesy these days is that as we left everyone thanked us for coming , and they asked when I was off to Dubai and requested I try and pop in for a meal before I leave Bahrain. Don't worry, it's one of the things I will miss when I leave Bahrain.... my weekly Scottish Fish and Chips. 

As usual thanks to the Friday gang for all your photos and everyone at the Frying Scotsman for looking after us so well. It was great to be back!


               Our Haddock and chips, and as usual we could not eat it all

If you want to fid their menu, opening hours and delivery options go to their Facebook page on The Frying Scotsman Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment