TBK Cooks- Pork chops and Garlicky Broccoli - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Wednesday, July 7, 2021

TBK Cooks- Pork chops and Garlicky Broccoli

   
                    My Pork chop with garlicky broccoli, peas and new potatoes

I first found this recipe back in April 2021 during Ramadan when I was given a Low Carb diet challenge by Chester. When I first read the recipe I  thought the Pork chops had to be cooked in an oven but more recently ( In July) I realised they cold be fried so I decided to try the recipe. You can read about the Low Carb diet challenge by clicking the link below:

Low Carb diet challenge

According to the Pork Chop and garlicky broccoli recipe ( Link below) :

"A little Parmesan in the pork chops' crunchy coating makes it extra-flavorful. The broccoli is simple yet special--try it alongside just about anything you're cooking, but it pairs perfectly with the pork here for a satisfying healthy dinner ready in just 30 minutes."

Pork Chops with Garlicky Broccoli recipe

I agree with the author- it was an amazing taste combination and easy to cook- even in a one pot kitchen.

In Bahrain most of the Pork you buy is frozen so I bought three pork steaks ( no bones) and defrosted them. When my friend Ronnie came for his day off, knowing how Pinoys love Pork, I decided to prepare the dish in advance and then just reheat it in the Microwave. I was supposed to collect him at 10 am then he put this back as he was summonsed to the Jasmi's head office for a meeting with "HR" about his impending contract renewal. He said he would call me when he was done to collect him ( I nearly gave him a taxi number but when I discovered he was at Seef and I needed to go to the bank there I decided to collect him myself). He called and I told him to meet me at the bank at Seef Mall but he sent a location for a restaurant over the road . When I got there he asked me to take his friend to The Dasman Centre ( opposite direction to the bank and a 15 minute journey each way) so the bank trip was delayed again!

After a day taking his royal highness around Bahrain as he chatted away in Tagalog to his friends and , I later discovered broadcast our journey on Facebook live, we headed for home. I told him it would take 5 mins to heat the dinner ( Too late for lunch by then as it was maybe 3 pm) . He said he was very tired and was going to lie down and I prepared and served the meal and cleared and laid the table. 



                               Just waiting for the broccoli to cook

Then I heard the snoring, and as he had been on night shift the night before , I realised he would not wake up for 5- 7 hours so I threw his in the bin ( sorry Max) and ate alone.


The sleeping beauty, too tired to eat the food I had spent hours preparing.

So that's the story, here is the recipe!

Pork chops and Garlicky Broccoli

Preparation : 30 mins

Servings: 4

Ingredients

680 grams Broccoli with stems, trimmed and cut into spears ( the original recipe said one and a half pounds and I wasted valuable time in Alosra Juffair trying to ask Mrs. Google on my mobile how many grams that was!)

6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
¼ cup whole-wheat flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 (4 ounce) ( 113 grams) boneless pork chops, trimmed
¾ teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1 sprig Chopped fresh thyme for garnish


                                The flour for coating the pork ( see below)

Method ( adapted for one pot cooking!)

Toss broccoli with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan and spread in an even layer. Fry, stirring often, until charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

  

                                Cooking the Broccoli

Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan in a shallow dish. Place flour in another shallow dish and egg in a third shallow dish. Sprinkle pork with 1/4 teaspoon salt, then dredge in the flour, shaking off excess; dip in the egg, letting excess drip off; and coat with the breadcrumb mixture

The beaten egg and the breadcrumbs with the parmesan

Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook, turning once, until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 145 degrees F, about 6 minutes total. (If the pork is browning too quickly, reduce heat to medium.) Transfer to a plate and drizzle with lemon juice. 

                                   Cooking the coated pork

Wipe the pan clean. Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil, garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over low heat, stirring, until the garlic is sizzling, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Drizzle over the reserved broccoli and toss to coat. Serve the pork and broccoli with more Parmesan and thyme, if desired.


                                The finished Broccoli

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 Pork Chop And 1 Cup Broccoli

Per Serving: 

543 calories; protein 34.2g; carbohydrates 20.5g; dietary fiber 5.5g; sugars 3.2g; fat 37.4g; saturated fat 8.9g; cholesterol 120.6mg; vitamin a iu 1257.2IU; vitamin c 153.3mg; folate 114.7mcg; calcium 161.9mg; iron 2.5mg; magnesium 66.2mg; potassium 924.8mg; sodium 724.6mg. 


Hope you enjoy the recipe. As I write this and add the photos I took on the day I made it I realise it must be a very sleep inducing dish. This was Rew while I was preparing the food the morning before Ronnie came:


                       Rew asleep on the sofa at 10. 30 am!

The second funny story is that as this was one of the last dishes I cooked before I left Bahrain ( on vacation!) and as I had to go to Awali with Ronnie to collect some printing, I decided to take a bag of partly open sauces, herbs, curry powder and the remaining Breadcrumbs to Miss Andrea as a thank you gift for doing all my printing  ( my printer is in Palawan) . Unfortunately I must not have put the top properly on the breadcrumbs as by the time we reached Awali the breadcrumbs had escaped , filling the bag- sorry Miss A. I am sure she will make some lovely food with my leftovers!

Personally I am looking forward to 3 months without having to cook or wash up on my vacation, after 6 weeks of preparing 3 meals a day during lockdown.

I will update you on my travels in a future blog

Until then, Ingat Palagi, and Kita kits



No comments:

Post a Comment