TBK cooks- Ca ri ga- Vietnamese Chicken curry and my Vietnamese Cookery class - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Thursday, April 22, 2021

TBK cooks- Ca ri ga- Vietnamese Chicken curry and my Vietnamese Cookery class


                     Trainee Chef Grant at our Vietnamese cookery class

When I turned up for my Vietnamese cookery class we were given tiny aprons and big Chef hats and there was a sign saying "Cooking class". I was introduced to my fellow American cookery student, a large lawyer called Grant and knew it was going to be a fun session when he said 

"You know they give us this stuff to make us look stupid, and the sign is to stop people litigating against us if they eat our food by mistake!"


                  Our Chef takes us to the market to look at the fresh food

On the obligatory cooking school trip to the market he explained he was in Vietnam for "Food, Photos and Clothes". He later explained that what he saved on having hand made silk shirts, ties and suits ( compared to the price in America) paid for the whole vacation!

    

                                             We are Trainees, please do not eat our food!

Our cookery lesson was in Hoi Ann on the last day of the Vietnamese leg of my marathon 2016 vacation and it was very enjoyable. I learnt to cook Ca ri ga and it has become a favourite dish with my friends. I also bought a Vietnamese cookery book and of course we got the recipes that we cooked at the hotel. 

You can see the full recipe below and if you want to see more pictures of the Vietnam trip , or any of the other recipes that have been uploaded to The British Kabayan Facebook page please check out my 2018 on line Recipe book by clicking the link below.

Vietnamese Chicken curry


                                Trainee Chef Neil at the Hoi Ann hotel cookery class in 2016

So just to end with a summary of my cookery classes ( so far I have done Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Cambodia x 2, Indian x 2 and Vietnam) you turn up, get your briefing, get taken to the local market and then return to class where everything is ready for you to prepare. There is usually a welcome drink or snack and of course the silly chef hats, aprons etc. and an introduction to the tutor, the other chefs and the menu. Then you start cooking each dish, with a small break and Merianda part way through , and then , the best part, you get to eat what you cooked! You also get a copy of the recipes, sometimes a set of commemorative photos, and a gift ( apron, pink potato peeler, Vietnamese spices etc.). I highly recommend that you book a cookery class on your next vacation!


 Our meal is served in the restaurant- Grant and I both complimented the Chef!

We hope you have enjoyed the TBK Cooks series, my special thanks to Chester for digging it out of the archives and releasing it week by week. 


Next week is the final recipe, the world famous Manok and Baboy ( Chicken and Pork) Adobo from my new home - the Philippines- Its Masarap and Bonga so don't miss it!

Once I finally get settled in the Philippines I am going to set up a cookery school and we will have regular Cookery Vlogs from around the world so don't forget to subscribe and keep checking The British Kabayan Vlogs, Blogs and Facebook page.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment