What will I not miss about Bahrain? - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

What will I not miss about Bahrain?

 Shway Shway Bapco- unless you have Wasta

 


The first two Arabic word I learnt were Shway Shway, which means slowly slowly. Bapco has so many systems that even the simplest things take for ever. You can order a letter on line now but then it takes 3 weeks to be delivered 7 km and eventually is found on your Superintendents desk! 

I first asked for my household possessions to be moved to the Philippines in August when I was having my hip operation . First I was told they could not help because I had not handed in my notice ( a lie, it just had not reached HR) . Next they said that I could only have my goods shipped to the UK ( pointless as I sold my house there in 2004 and I am moving to the Philippines). Then they said  that they would get a quote for the difference between shipping to UK and to Philippines. They would pay the UK part and I would pay the rest. That was in October, its now February ( 5 months, still waiting ) .

So I arranged my shipment myself in December and sent HR the receipts for 3,000 bd to be told they don't pay until I leave! I asked for a loan ( its 382,000 peso- hard to live without!). They said they would need the Superintendents permission. When there was no reply in a week I wrote to her in December to get a message saying she was away until January. I could go on but my blood would boil again. I was told the GM HR was too busy to see me before I left, so, Michael- here is my advice for your much awaited HR Transformation project- buy a big bulldozer, clear out the dead wood and antiquated unworkable systems and OTL and start all over again!

                        My garden in Awali- before I sold all the plants!

The third Arabic word I learnt was Wasta or influence. If you know a powerful person with influence you can get anything done immediately. I achieved this through my ILM programme with delegates from every department. I also networked extensively and by making friends with the right people discovered that you can get anything done.  One asked me not to mention him in my blog but he knows who he is- thanks!

             Awali is so quiet- we have a new solar powered bus stop but no buses 

One of the wonderful things about Awali, where I lived in Bahrain, was how quiet it was. It is a gated compound, so few cars drive past my house. Due to the heat you rarely see people outside apart from people walking in the winter evenings. I often referred to it as “ The ghost town” or “Toy town”.  If you want to see more about the history of Awali see this excellent video - 

An Historical film about Awali


                                                   My lovely quiet garden in Awali

My house there had a beautiful quiet garden, filled with birds, and in the house I had no mobile , TV or anything else that generated noise or disturbed me. Few people had my landline number so the phone rang maybe once a month, usually cold callers who got short shrift, or Alpesh. Only occasionally did I have friends dropping by.

I give you this as background so you understand better the things I will not miss!

First – people talking loudly on mobile phones, or mobile phones ringing ( Hi Daniel) – especially those with annoying ring tones.

Second people playing cricket outside, hitting the ball through my gate, Breaking the glass ( which took a year to get repaired, and then ringing the doorbell when it was dark asking me to turn on the outside lighting so they could find the ball they had hit into my garden ( yes, Marashi, you!)

Third – people wandering around my garden like it’s a public park (yes really)

Well that takes care of one set of neighbors!


  The noisiest family in Awali, off to the UK for a month- peace returns to Awali

Perhaps the most annoying thing about Awali is the Bahrainis. They come into Awali every night and leave their trash outside my house, use the pavement as an outside gym, and block the roads by walking and talking on their mobiles 6 abreast in dark clothing at night.

Western Expats (I know, I was one)- but they really are a breed unto themselves, living in free houses with free fuel and large tax-free incomes. However, they are the meanest people I ever met quibbling over the prices of Plants and drinks in the bars (for my sins I ran the swimming club bar when I first came here) . 


 "Can I pay you for my compost with 50 Cd's that Paul Delahunty left behind?"

At work I was always taught (thanks Mark) to look smart and professional and to prove how good you are rather than have certificates on the wall. So, I won’t miss the casual approach of some of my colleagues. I was lucky to have my own office for most of my time at Bapco . When we moved to Awali, Building B, my 11th office move, the noise was terrible. 


Andrei, with the attention span of a gnat and Joe, who spoke Spanish all the time 

People would sit around chatting, sharing videos and jokes on mobile phones and What’s App, cooking, making coffee and eating at their desks. It did not help that we had no separate kitchen and with a multinational workforce. Some people started at 6 am and others, like me, at 8 am . People would start cooking from 8 am onwards for breakfast and lunch. Imagine being on a diet, trying to concentrate on marking assignments 6 hrs. a day, with the smells of Biryani, Curry, Sushi and Pizza wafting around the office!)

                                

                                                        Daniel having lunch!

I should point out that the above was written firmly tongue in cheek as in my next blog , things I will miss about Bahrain, you will see the same people feature!



No comments:

Post a Comment