Travels in the Philipines- part one - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, February 8, 2021

Travels in the Philipines- part one

 
The Jeepney's of Baguio- photo by the British Kubayan- 2011



Many people have asked how I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life in Palawan. Well it was love at first sight. I loved the people I met there, the places I went and of course the food.

Palawan was not my first love though. Many people say I am Milandi( flirt) and I definitely like to sample the merchandise before making my final decision. My first visit to the Phil ( as I affectionately call my lover) was in 2000 , and I was there for work , recruiting for AlHomaizi International in Kuwait. As the company was paying we stayed at the Shangri-La , Makati , Manila. From our chauffeur driven Mercedes from the airport, through the chaotic rush hour traffic, to the check in that took place in our Suites on the 24th floor, it was luxury all the way. The interviews were very disorganized with thousands of applicants who had traveled for several days from all over the Phil for the chance to become an OFW. It was my first chance to see the poverty of the Phil first hand, which contrasted with the skyscrapers and luxury of Makati.

On the beach at Subic between the rain storms- 2011 

 

I hated Kuwait, returned to the UK and found myself back in the Middle East in 2010 when I landed a great job in Bahrain. I decided to return to the Phil on vacation in 2011 and my new co-worker (as she was then ) Ate Hazel, suggested I stay in the Heritage hotel in Pasay this time and visit Subic and Baguio , as well as Cebu, Bohol and Boracay ( I told you I was a flirt!). The Heritage has been my home from home for 11 years now. It is perfectly located for the airports, the Victory Liner Terminal, the Beautiful church at Baclaren and  just within walking distance of the amazing Mall of Asia and Manila bay.

A Pinoy guy who was working in Bahrain and then got sent home, Jeff, was my tour guide back then. In Subic it rained all week and the same in Baguio. In fact the rain there had washed a civic landfill down the hill killing many people. I really never thought the Victory Liner driver was going to make it up the torturous windy road with huge drops on one side. 

Soaked at Burnham Park lake in Baguio- they even asked if we wanted to hire a boat!- 2011 

 

I thought the Islands would be better but Cebu was like Manila by the sea and Boracay was so overcrowded ( even in 2011 - it got much worse as the years progressed) that I vowed never to return. The only place I really enjoyed was Bohol where we saw the Tarsiers, the man made Forest and the Chocolate Hills ( before they were split in two by a earthquake).  


The world famous chocolate hills of Bohol in 2011

A sleepy Tarsier in Bohol- 2011 

 

I returned to the Phil in 2013 staying again at the Heritage and then heading south with Vin to Villa Escudero, family home of politician and nearly President, Chiz Escudero. We had a glorious  3 days there in the sun complete with Cultural show, Halo halo, swimming, bird watching and dining in a restaurant set in a river!

Rafting on the lake at Villa Escudero, we stayed at the second hut on the left in 2013

 

After a trip on a Victory Liner to Angeles , Clarke, Ollapongo , and Subic, again, to meet up with Geeyoh , who used to work in Bahrain I flew to Puerto Princessa on Palawan to meet Drew. He arranged a trip to the 7th wonder of the world , the Underground River and then a boat trip around Honda bay where he took these amazing photos on Starfish Island. 



We stayed at the Microtel, by then a firm favourite for my Asian Trips, In Puerto which had the most amazing sunsets , sun rises and mangroves. Drew and I spent many happy hours walking there when the tide was out.


Neil on the sand in front of the Microtel at Puerto Princessa- photo by Drew in 2013

And so my love affair with Palawan started and after that I never saw any other lover in the Philippines. ( I did however that lovers in Bangladesh, UAE, Oman, Thailand and Cambodia). It was only a year before I returned to Palawan in 2014 and this time Drew and I headed north on the 7 hour van trip to El Nido, which was then just starting to rival Boracay as a backpackers paradise.

I will tell you how I fell in and out of love with El Nido in another blog

Until then this is the British Kubayan signing out- and as you read this I am flying to the Philippines to start my new life there!

Ingat Palagi, Mahal Kita , Kita Kits xx


No comments:

Post a Comment