TBK Tries- The Kanafeh shop in Bukawara - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

TBK Tries- The Kanafeh shop in Bukawara

 

                    The British Kabayan, Trainee Kanafeh Chef

The what shop? In where? Okay, so lets start at the beginning because 11 years ago i had never heard of Kanafeh, or Bukawara!

According to our friends at Wikipedia:

"Kanafeh is a traditional Middle Eastern dessert made with shredded filo pastry, or alternatively fine semolina dough, soaked in sweet, sugar-based syrup, and typically layered with cheese, or with other ingredients such as clotted cream or nuts, depending on the region."

Source:  Kanafeh

As for Bukawara , Wikipedia said:


"No results found for Bukawara."

Maybe I imagined it! Its a little town, close to Riffa and not too far from Awali , where I lived for 11 years in Bahrain. It's most famous resident was Top Fashion Designer, Mr Corleen Durero, My houseboy!

  Corleen adjusting a mannequin with one of his creations at Saks 5th Avenue
 

So what do you do when you turn up to collect Corleen and there is no sign of him ( back then, before he was famous, he did not have a car so I had to collect him every Friday and he was always late ( Yes , Jake, even then!) , Well you go in search of breakfast and thats when I found the Kanafeh Shop in Bukawara!

                             They call it Kunafa ( not Kanafeh) in Bukawara
 

So , out of curiosity I went in . the shop was run by a very nice man whose English consisted of three words :

"One?" "Two? " "Everything?"

My reply was either one or two fingers ( depending whether I was buying just one for me or one for Corleen as well) and a thumbs up, because if you are going to break your diet by having Kunafa, you may as well go the whole hog, and have everything!

So now lets give you the recipe , as I have marked this as a recipe blog!

 Knafeh Recipe

 I hope you like the Arabic Music too

                                        This reminded me of someone
 

Maureen will love this blog... "That's three different ways you have spelt Knafeh, Kunafa,  Kanafeh now, Neil"

                                 Heating the Kunafa on the gas ring
 

In the shop he prepared the  base in advance and then heated it up and added the liquid and toppings.

 One of the reasons I loved the tiny shop was it was so simple- fridge, gas rings, tray of toppings and that was it. They only sold Kunafa, and there was always a queue!

 

                               I wonder how many calories are in each Kunafa?

As they say in Tagalog , I became a Suki ( Salamat Tita Gracie for my new Tagalog word) or regular customer, and one day I was given the honour of cooking Kunafa for Corleen and I . Imagine if he had asked Corleen to cook?!

I did leave adding "everything" to the man from the Kunafa shop though!



The best thin about Kunafa is its very cheap and always served with a smile, and of course it's hot and freshly made to order. The sad news is that now Corleen has a car I hardly ever go to Bukawara, and , even worse, when I did go last , the Kunafa shop had closed. However it will always remain in my happy memories of Bahrain!

                                                       I think he liked me!
 

Sometimes we would take them home to eat before Corleen started work, other times we took them to the park and had them before our walk, and  once we took one to Gaye Bentham in Amwaj when we went to collect some artwork I had framed.

                                            Gaye tries her first Kunafa!

Hope you enjoyed my unplanned Kunafa blog. As usual I was lookin fro some pictures of afternoon tea at the Orangery for my work colleague , Shawn, and I found the Kunafa pictures. I thought "that will make a good blog", and the rest, as they say, is history!

Until the next time Ingat Palagi ( good luck) , Mahal Kita ( I love you) and Kita Kits ( see you soon). 




 



No comments:

Post a Comment