TBK gives- My best birthday ever- turning 60 - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Friday, October 9, 2020

TBK gives- My best birthday ever- turning 60

 

          Jake , Coco, the British Kabayan, and Joshua at my 60th Birthday lunch

I really was not looking forward to turning 60. I have always enjoyed the company of people much younger than myself. COV 19 meant the cancellation of flights from the UK so my friends could not visit, I had to cancel my planned Birthday lunch at the Gulf Hotel, no birthday cards or presents arrived ( apart from a wonderful kindle with 35 books form Phil and Di ) . I had no money to buy even a cake , and the cake and present that Julz promised never materialized, It seems he lies a lot, and was not sorry for leaving me in the shit to go for another job giving me 3 hrs. notice. The costs of the after care for the operation had used up all my money and my credit card reached its limit. So the best I could hope for was a sandwich in bed alone.

               
                 The only card to arrive before my birthday from Phil and Di
 
Then Corleen, Joshua and Coco turned up with Pork, chicken , squid and spent all morning making a fabulous pinoy lunch. Jake arranged a cake and each of them gave me a card! Even Ronald, my driver when I was off sick, turned up with a card from him and his family. I had a long video  call from Phil and Di in the UK and a lovely video message from Mama Jam and everyone at HOPE, and one from Chester in Manila. Then the emails started arriving from Huddersfield, Eastbourne, my brother Andrew, Mark Johns, Jane Corder and Jane Frost, and many more friends from over the years. Finally my former colleague Miss Andrea turned up with a card and gifts and enjoyed the wonderful lunch.

                              
                            Joshua, Corleen, Jake and Coco
 
So my special thanks to Corleen for co-ordination of everything, and to Joshua, Jake and Coco for helping out with the cooking and washing up, and to Ronald for getting the cake when Julz did not deliver! Thanks also to Phil and Di for the amazing Kindle ( still unused) and books. Thanks to Chester for the surprise Video message and everyone who emailed , sent messages on Facebook etc. Finally thanks to Mama Jam and everyone at HOPE for the most memorable and tear jerking video message which arrived at 10 pm , just as I was going to sleep!

                     
                          The Birthday boy with his Lechon, Lumpia and Calamari
 

As they say its more important to give than receive and I ended my 60th birthday with a warm heart knowing that the recipients of my sponsorship and donations to HOPE cared enough to send me such a wonderful greeting. I am looking forward to supporting HOPE full time and to setting up our HOPE Mobile library and kitchen once I get settled in the Philippines. 

                                  
                                   Chef Coco's Lechon was amazing!
 

Until the next time- Mahal Kita, Kita Kits and Ingat Palagi

Chester created a special thank you to Phil and Di for being such good friends over so many years. I was at their wedding, the day Zak was born 7 weeks prematurely,  I lived with them when I came back from Kuwait early, and we have all worked together on and off over the years. COV 19 got the better of us this year but ONE DAY we will all be together again. ONE DAY is also the title of a track written and played by their son Zak, who is now all grown up, and an aspiring musician. You can find him on Spotify, Facebook and the usual social media. As Louis Walsh would say, remember that name, Zak Gregory. Have I really known him for 21 years?

One day , with the Gregories




No comments:

Post a Comment