Countown to Palawan - 90 days to go and I am turning cartwheels - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Countown to Palawan - 90 days to go and I am turning cartwheels

 

When I first decided to leave Bahrain I found a website "How many working days until Feb 14 2021" and it gave me a countdown! Back then it was 300 or so days to go, but as I write this on 11 October 2020 it's 90 days and I got Chester to create this poster! You can check how many days are left now by clicking the link below

How many days until Feb 14

So I thought it would be a good title for a blog and over the coming weeks we could record how I am getting on preparing for my new life in Palawan.

First, and most importantly, I found somewhere to live and have rented a Comelo home in Puerto Princessa starting in February. The owner is also going to help me find a dog! Chester is searching the net for Drones and Arvin and I are going to collect one when I get to Manila on 15.2.21 ready to film the next part of my life for the new British Kabayan Vlog.

                        Physio at home with Nurse Julz after my operation

Back here in Bahrain I have been getting "fixed up"medically so had my hip replaced, two root canals cleaned and filled and two fillings replaced, had an eye test, several blood tests and medication to reduce my Cholesterol and get rid of my Diabetes. I have been seeing a  Dietician and having Physio and hopefully by February should be feeling like a new man!

                     My new PJ's . Perfect for wet winter days in Palawan
 

Before the Op Julz ( my high end retail fashion expert) took me shopping to M & S and H & M and Red Tag to get new Pajamas, Dressing gown, slippers ( Tsinellas) and  shorts , tee shirts and cotton trousers for my hospital stay and recovery ( My mother always taught me to have clean PJ's and Underwear when you went into hospital) 


     For the Charity shop, the Awali Thrift shop has been closed due to COV 19


While I was recovering from my hip operation at home for 6 weeks I decided what I wanted to take to Palawan and what I did not, had my certificates taken out of their frames, had several trips to the charity shops and recycling bins


120 bags of Compost for sale

In the garden we bagged and sold all the compost and started selling all the outdoor and indoor plants , garden furniture and so on. This meant constantly uploading pics of plants to Facebook, emailing friends and Shji did a great job telling all his customers that I was leaving and had plants for sale. 

                 Removing a dead Jasmine plant and the dead Papaya tree
 

At work I handed in my notice and contacted HR for several weeks to arrange the removal company to take my stuff to Palawan in December so its there when I arrive. This was one of the harder tasks as I wrote to Suhaylah who referred me to Ahmed who did not reply and then when I chased him a month later he told me to contact Yousif and then Layla called to say they had not been told I was leaving so I had to chase Nooralhuda and Terrance to process the resignation I gave them on 1st October.Then Yousif told me as I was hired from the UK they would send my stuff to the UK so I messaged Mike who had just moved to Thailand and he referred me to Martin who was just moving to Thailand to find a work around! What a palava.

                         Plants and Trellis for sale, had 4 buyers so far
 

Much easier was preparing a cash flow for my first year there. Beth was very helpful getting a quote for car hire from Hertz, the cheapest of 3 I got , and Beth's husband Paul ( A Brit) and Gracie's man Tony ( also  a Brit) gave me advice on  retiree Visas, Tax, bank accounts, etc. Marco was less helpful redoing my cash flow and sending life assurance quotes when I asked for Medical cover. Corleen, Jake, Ran and others gave their opinions on the cost of electricity etc and finally I got to the figure my brother wanted. I will leave Bahrain with a certain amount or money after 11 years here and I need that to cover the first two years in Palawan where I will rent a car and house until I decide what I want to do and where I want to live. Then Richard can transfer money from my savings and long term investments from the sale of my house in the UK in 2004 to buy a new house or plot of land and build a house in Palawan in 2022 and then I will buy a 4x 4 truck as well for the rough roads  there. In 2023 and 2024 I will live off my savings and then in 2025 my private pensions will kick in and they will support me for the rest of my life there.

                 Recycling all the old paperwork we no longer need
 

Finally at work we had our Audit and so were able to get rid of our old paperwork from the previous year which cleared a whole cupboard! Later this month I am running training sessions two mornings a week for our new security team so in the afternoons I will recycle all the handouts we did not use this year as we delivered most of the programme on line due to COV 19.

So as you can see I started early with my planning and hopefully, as a result, the move to Palawan will  go smoothly. The next update will be in 10 days!

Until then 

Ingat Palagi

 Mahal Kita 

  and of course, Kita kits ( 90 days!)

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment