TBK Travels to the most Romantic places in the Philippines for Valentines day - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, February 13, 2023

TBK Travels to the most Romantic places in the Philippines for Valentines day



This list flashed up on my Facebook screen the other day and as I looked at the list I smiled as I realised I had visited seven out of the fifteen places from this bucket list. Then I thought " That would make a good blog for Valentines day!"

By way of explanation I have already written several blogs about the Philippines having the longest Christmas in the world running from SeptemBER ( the first of the BER months) through until January. Then the Christmas decorations and celebrations are replaced by the second biggest event in the Pinoy calendar- Valentines day!


Chester celebrates the month of love with his red rose and red bow tie in Balayong Park with Noel and Frythy


Chef Arnell's Valentines menu at Senordamla which includes a red rose for the lovely lady!

Facebook is full of suppliers offering Heart shaped cakes, boxes of goodies, and hotels and restaurants are offering high priced 5 course set meals .  There are stalls along the roadside selling red roses, teddy bears and other heart shaped gifts. Valentines day is big business in the Philippines.

"Poochies Kitchen" have strawberry Chiffon cakes and "Little Things" have cakes in the shape of a love heart with a mirror on top


              Deli Mart and More have imported heart shaped Ferrero Rocher

But it was this advert that made me laugh the most and when I asked if i could have a table for two with the one I love , Chester ( the Dawg) they said "of course, it would not be the same without Chester!) 


Anyways back to the list! My regular readers will know I first visited the Philippines in 2000 when I stayed at the Shangrila La Makati Manila with work ( I was recruiting staff for Al Homaizi International in Kuwait). I then returned in 2011 when I was working in Bahrain and a friend of mine ( who I met in Bahrain but he returned home) took me to several of the places on the list.


                             My favourite photo of Boracay from 2011

I loved Boracay and we stayed at the Microtel which was away from the main beaches and tourist areas. Back in 2011 Boracay was the Philippines most popular island and on everyone's bucket list. However the infrastructure was not in place to support the phenomenal growth and it became overcrowded and short cuts were taken. 

Then President Duderte closed the island for 6 months rehabilitation and the sewage pipes from hotels to the sea were removed, new roads and drains laid and the numbers of tourists restricted when it was reopened. I have seen pictures since it reopened and I am told it is far nicer but I have not been back. A photo I took there ( above) hangs on my stairs to remind me of those happy days back in 2011.


        A sunset photo I took at El Nido Cove in 2014 ( my Gin & Tonic days) 

There is no doubt that the islands in Bacuit bay are stunning as are the sunsets which can best be seen from Cadlao or Vanilla beach, Coron Coron or Lio. I stayed there in 2014,2015, 2017 and 2018 and saw many sunsets before they hiked the prices up and the town itself got too noisy/ crowded/ polluted.

On the beach at El Nido Cove around 2014 before it became too crowded and they closed the hotel

Ironically the closure of Boracay meant many tourists visited Palawan instead and many tour operators, hoteliers and restaurateur's and boat operators then relocated to Palawan and in the succeeding years it was voted the best island in the world several times. The growth in Tourism pre COV 19 meant every space in El Nido was built on, laws were broken, bribes and threats were made and soon it was going the same way as Boracay and then President Duderte threatened to close El Nido as well. 

I am just grateful that I got to see these places before they were ruined. Another place I visited before destruction of a different kind was Vigan where I spent a couple of weeks with Kuya Vin who also worked in Bahrain but had to return home to Illocos Norte after he was hit by a car. We saw the fountains at night, walked up and down the cobbled streets, ate dirty ice cream, empanadas and Longanisa and rode on a Kalesa ( horse drawn cart ) to the famous bell tower at Bantay.


I managed to climb to the top and some ladies there took my photo, Vin had to stay on the ground due to his bad leg. Sadly the Bell Tower was damaged by an earthquake in recent years. As well as visiting Vigan we went with his family to the beach at Pagadpudd and to see the windmills there that generate electricity. Vigan is an old Spanish style town and well worth a visit- you can fly from Manila to Loag in order to get there and see the Marcos Highway and the Marcos Museum. 

Maarte Sosyal Cebu is next on their bucket list . Anyone that refers to themself as the "Queen of the south" is not one of my favourites and unfortunately we stayed in an awful hotel ( The Grand) in a run down area when I went with Jeff back on 2011. To make matters worse the attractions we visited were closed but the security guard let us take some photos in the Gardens:


     My friend Jeff who I met in Bahrain in 2010 when he was working as an OFW

The next place on the bucket list was Intramourous, one of the oldest parts of Manila ( meaning within the walls) and 5 star Tom took me here in 2015. I really enjoyed our visit walking around the old walls, visiting the beautiful cathedral and taking part in a survey by some students about the preservation of the area.


Exploring Intramourous in Manila with 5 star Tom, then it poured with rain and we had Halo Halo in Chow King before eventually finding a taxi back to the Heritage hotel in Pasay, my home in Manila!


                  The Roman Catholic cathedral of Manila in Intramuros

When it gets too hot in Manila in the summer people decamp up to Baguio , known as the "Summer capital of the Philippines". Kuya Coco is from Baguio and suggested Jeff and I stayed at the Microtel, above the Victory liner terminal. We loved walking around the town which is full of young people as there are many universities there . We had a taxi up to Camp John Haigh which was an American base ( now a hotel and convention centre) and walked back across Burnham Golf Course. Sadly when we went to Burnham park it poured with rain, but it did not stop the man trying to sell us a boat trip on the lake!


                    Soaked in Baguio in 2011- Burnham Park

Below is another of my favourite photos that I took in Baguio of the colourful Jeepneys which TJ hung in my spare room here in Palawan. 


                                  I took this photo at Baguio in 2011

The last place I visited on the list was Bohol and I have to say that this is my second favourite Island to Palawan. We stayed in a lovely hotel, did a couple of tours, lazed on the beach and visited the Tarsiers and had lunch in a floating restaurant.


We also visited the famous Chocolate Hills before they two were damaged by an earthquake. I am starting to wonder of something spooky is going on here- everywhere I visit is hit by a Typhoon, Earthquake or is closed down!


                                 TBK at the Chocolate Hills in Bohol in 2011


So that leaves 8 places on my bucket list to visit in 2024 ( I want to finish touring Palawan in 2023 with trips planned to Coron, Cuyo and the Balabac Islands ). Another friend from Bahrain, where he was an OFW, Corleen , has just returned to Siargao and set up a fashion business there so he is the top of my list to visit. 

You can see his new studio on Facebook at Neon Fashion Studio

I also want to visit Davao ( home of former Resident Duderte and current VP and his daughter, Sara Duterte. Not on their list is Dumagete where Karl studied and told me a lot about. then Tagataye and Siquijor . It It is recognized as a center of mystic power and a capital of mystic activities and black magic. Siquijor is known for the infamous agimat and gayuma. In spite of this, Siquijor offers incredible sites and sights and is rapidly becoming one of the most popular tourist destinations in the Philippines.


                      The rolling hills of Batanes- I want to explore!

Batanes is always the location for scenic vlogs and blogs with winding roads and green fields leading down to the sea. There seems plenty to do there and I am looking forward to hiring a car and exploring the area. I promise to share it with you using my new drone and our Vlogs and Blogs .

https://iamaileen.com/things-to-do-in-batanes-philippines/

That leaves Tubattha reef which I will admit that I had not heard of but having completed my PADI open water diving qualification in Muscat a year ago I am keen to resume diving both here in Palawan and further afield. Luckily Tubattha is 50 km south of Puerto in the Sulu sea. 

"The Tubbataha Natural Park, also known as the Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park, is a protected area of the Philippines located in the middle of the Sulu Sea. The marine and bird sanctuary consists of two huge atolls and the smaller Jessie Beazley Reef covering a total area of 97,030 hectares. "

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubbataha_Reef ( accessed 13.2.23)

My plan is to get a Go Pro camera next year so I can film underwater too.

Please keep following our adventures from the sky, below the sea, and on the ground as The British Kabayan continues to explore the Philippines. 

I hope you have a great Valentines day and now, if you will excuse me, I have to dash off for a date with a cute Labrador called Chester at Rustic Café!


Looks like I will not be the only single dining alone tonight. I just read in Palawan News:

"Palawan has the highest number of single individuals aged 18-30 among the five provinces in MIMAROPA, according to the most recent data from Listahanan, the government’s targeting system for poverty reduction in the country.

Palawan accounts for 32.7% or 122,581 of the 374,753 singles who were identified 

Males make up 59 percent of the region’s overall single population.

Puerto Princesa City is among the top areas with the largest number of recognized single people.

San Miguel and Sicsican, both in Puerto Princesa, had the highest number at the barangay level. A person who has never been married by religious or civil ceremonies is considered single.

These statistics are released with the celebration of Valentine’s Day."

Source: https://palawan-news.com/palawan-has-the-most-single-persons-in-mimaropa/ ( accessed 13.2.23)

Looks like I chose a good place to retire!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment