TBK asks- which is your favourite photo? - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Saturday, December 10, 2022

TBK asks- which is your favourite photo?


                    The Jeepneys in Baguio in 2011

I had a really nice compliment from a complete stranger who I gave the link to my blogs to. She said :

" I was checking your blogspot. I’m very impressed! Your page is very established and the photos even from years ago are really good quality"

That made my day. I had sent her the link to my blogs on Baguio , where she is staying for Christmas, and the photos, like the one above of the Jeepneys were taken back in 2011. Like many other photos in my Blog I had it enlarged and framed and it now hangs in my spare room. Another set of photos from El Nido cove are in my bedroom and I think this is my favourite of that set.


The sun set from El Nido Cove

I took many great photos in my 12 years in Bahrain and even had some of them published in the local newspapers and magazines.


This one at the Bapco club in Awali appeared on the Bahrain Confidential Facebook page

In the winter, as Awali was in a dip, sometimes we would have a thick fog, which made it difficult to drive to the Oil Refinery , where I worked back then. One one of these mornings I decided to head back home and then drove up to a high vantage point ( the water tanks for those of you who know Awali) and got this stunning shot:


You can see the nodding donkeys (oil wells) shrouded by mist as the sun rises

Another of my favourite photos from Awali was of my garden. I found an old cable drum and some damaged watering cans and , with help from some friends, made it into an attractive flower display.


My graphic designer , Chester, added the logo at the bottom right. Likewise on the next picture which I took on a staycation in Bahrain ( working for an Oil & Gas refinery expats were not allowed to leave the island during COV 19!). I really love this next picture.


I took so many pictures that vacation , wandering around the coast of Bahrain that we created an ebook:


You can find all our ebooks, best of the blogs, and recipe books at the top of the blog page.


The final photo I selected from my 12 years in Bahrain was the one above taken at Amwaj Lagoon. It started off very quietly, being on reclaimed land a long way from the capital, Manama, and even further from the expats in Awali. The first time I went there were just 3 shops open. Then as more apartments, hotels and so on were built at Amwaj the place became busier with a market every weekend. Sadly COV19 hit it hard and when I went for a meal just before I moved to the Philippines most of the restaurants and shops had closed down again!

I shared a photo I took in the fog in Awali earlier and I will end with one I took on Christmas day in Doha, Qatar around 2016. I was on the 24th Floor of the Ezdan hotel and the view was spectacular. Sadly the fog badly messed up or planned Christmas day lunch on Banana Island and , as usual, my request for a refund fell on deaf ears. 


                   Doha, 2016, Christmas day, from my room in the Ezdan Hotel

I hope you liked the 8 photos I have chosen and would love to hear which is your favourite and why? Please write in the comments or email me on Thebritishkabayan@gmail.com

Thank you


 

No comments:

Post a Comment