TBK Tells- Eat that Palaka ( frog) - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, June 27, 2022

TBK Tells- Eat that Palaka ( frog)

 

                       A wooden frog that I bought in Cambodia at a Floating market

I have been putting off writing this blog for a few days, which is ironic! It has been on my Whiteboard "To do list" every day for the last week. 


                              Ready to start my Frog Blog at 5.24 am

So the other day at 5 am I got up early to eat the frog ( "Palaka" in Tagalog) and cross it off my list. 


       Item 3- "Write the Frog blog" has been on my "to do list" for too long!

Once I got started the task was easier than I thought, I had already done some research and a draft in Word and just had to take and add some photos. That's often the way with tasks you procrastinate over ( to put off until tomorrow what could be done today). Once you overcome your fear and get started they are quite easy.


                       The book by Brian Tracy which I lent to Danica

This blog is dedicated to Danica, who wanted one of my Palaka when she came to the Blue House with Jhoanna to deliver my laundry. I promised to tell her the story behind the Palaka and why I have so many in my house in Palawan. 


 One of 5000 ILM frogs we bought in 2010 at Bapco, just 500 fills each ( 50 peso)

It’s also for my newest TBK fans who I met while doing their OJT at the Microtel in Puerto Princessa. They were studying Hotel Management (at PSU) just as I did back in 1978! 


        My newest fans doing their OJT at the Microtel at Puerto Princesa

                                          ( Photo by TJ) 

It's also for Xian and Ed who came to my party and loved my croaking Palaka. I think maybe mum , Agnes, would benefit from reading it as well!


         TJ definitely needs to eat the frog and I am sure some of her babes too!

                                                  ( Photo by Luis Castro) 

The frog story is also dedicated to the man who introduced me to the concept, Mark Johns, my mentor for some 40 years, and of course, to the author of the book “Eat that Frog”, Brian Tracy. I had the honour of meeting Brian when he was giving a talk in Bahrain and gave him one of my green frogs, which put a smile on his face.

You can read more about Brian on his website : https://www.briantracy.com/

“So, Tell the Frog story, Mr P”

“Ok , Mr G!”


                             Source :  https://www.briantracy.com/

The “frog” ( or Palaka for those who speak Tagalog)  is the task you do not like doing. Maybe it’s that report, your modules, cleaning the house, washing up, your assignment and so on. So, you put it off. As the deadline approaches you get stressed and then you stay up all night, or borrow Tatay’s laptop and do it on vacation or whatever. Because it’s last minute you rush it and do not do a good job.

Why do we all do this?

It is called “Procrastination”. putting off until tomorrow what should be done today.

Why the frog/ Palaka?

Well, no one likes eating frogs in real life (apart from the French and the Vietnamese – who were occupied by the French once). Quick shout out to Nadya, my first girlfriend (Jowa) when I was 16! Her mum was French and made us snails and Frogs legs! Congratulations to Nadya who has started flying again age 60 after a nearly 25 year career with British Airways who made her redundant in August 2020 due to COV 19.


               Nadya celebrating her first flight after being made redundant by BA

So , Brian Tracey argues, the best thing to do is eat the frog/Palaka first and get it out of the way then you can enjoy the rest of the day. When I was a kid I was very sick , allergic to horses. Dogs, cats, grass etc. and I had asthma. My dad was a Doctor and prescribed lots of medicine which I hated. My mum would bribe me to take the medicine first thing with a promise of a sweet or something nice after.


         Source : https://readingraphics.com/book-summary-eat-that-frog/

Instead of putting off that job you hate, start it early. Promise yourself something you like after as a reward for completion. I am going to have some hot Malunggay Pandesal and a boiled egg as soon as I finish this Blog!

 


     Source : https://readingraphics.com/book-summary-eat-that-frog/

Many of you will know I get up at 4 am daily and before the world comes to life, I eat all my frogs. I update my spreadsheets, write my blogs, do the washing up, sweep and mop the floors, water the plants (but not the Dessert Roses Mags!), make lunch and so on. Then I have a nice breakfast, my beloved cup of coffee and relax in the sun.

                      TJ’s bag which she kept promising to collect but never did

I nearly forgot one dedication, to the worst Procrastinator in my Life. TJ! Imagine how much better it would have felt to have edited the videos I sent you when I sent them instead of me chasing you for months. Likewise for the photo of you on my bike in the cycling clothes I bought you. Or unboxing and using the Tornado mop you asked for and so on! I even had to deliver your bag to the laundry and chase you forever to put my pictures up.

 

The request form I use with my anaks and have to chase 3 times to get completed

Can you imagine a guy, we will call him Tatay, offer's you 60,000 peso ( 420 bd or £650) to cover your 6 months expenses at college. All he needs is a list of what you need the money for ( Transport , Load, Uniform). Would you not get your list done that day? Not my anaks! I had to chase them 3 times. And yet I see their selfies on Facebook and instagram daily! Eating that frog is about identifying the most IMPORTANT tasks, the ones that will have the biggest impact on your life, and getting them done. Imagine how much better you will feel at 6.30 am having finished your blog and walking to the bakery for that nice hot Pandesal!

This is TBK off to the bakery- but I will just leave you with a quick summary of Brian's book. Special thanks to Nadya for fact checking her part and allowing me to use her story.



Kita Kits

Ingat Palagi

 

No comments:

Post a Comment