TBK travels - around Bahrain on a bus- part three- the second half of the journey - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Saturday, March 12, 2022

TBK travels - around Bahrain on a bus- part three- the second half of the journey

 

The X6A edges it's way through the market stalls in Ras Zuwayed on the way back to Muhurraq

Welcome back aboard the X6A to Muhurraq for the second half of the journey. Firstly my hats off to all the drivers at Bahrain bus for their exceptional driving skills, calm temperament ( even when antagonized by rude shouting customers) and customer focus . They all had great product knowledge telling me where to get the next bus and when it would arrive and they kept me safe and secure all day. All the drivers were very smartly dressed on a hot day, put on their high viz waistcoats when they got off the bus, checked the bus was clean at the end of each journey, tried to keep the noise levels down and were very professional!


                                    TBK waits for the X4 at Ma'ameer

In the planning stage the only concern I had was where exactly to change from the X6A to the X4 ( point 17 on the map in the first blog). However the driver explained to me it was in Ma'ameer ( on the main road from the Bapco Refinery to Manama, outside the Nass Labour camp and Mosque. He pointed out I needed to cross the road and then when he drove off he pointed to the stop on the other side of the road. It's a very busy fast 6 lane highway and I was a bit scared as I ran across ( memories of crossing from Bahrain Mall to Seef Mall with Coco to buy hair colour for Mama Jam in El Nido years ago!). There was a short wait for the bus and with no bus shelter and the sun now blazing down I drank the remainder of my warm water and had my second Baguette!

 

   Getting off the X4 and waiting for the A2 at Souq Waqif- no time for shopping!

Sadly there was no where to put my rubbish and no where to go to the toilet ( not sure how the drivers manage all day without a toilet!) so I crossed my legs and carried my garbage on the bus to Souq Waqif. Here , when I asked the X4 driver where I got the A2 to the University of Bahrain he looked at his watch and said it would pull in behind us in 5 minutes. A Bahrain Bus Inspector got on with us at Souq Waqif and checked our Go cards had sufficient credit on. As this was my 5th journey in the same day I was now travelling for free!


                 By now the bus was full again until we reached Hamad Town

For those of you who do not know Bahrain Hamad Town ( Madinat Hamad ) is named after the King Of Bahrain (Hamad ibn Isa Al Khalifah) . It is famous for having 22 roundabouts and it took our bus driver nearly 30 minutes to navigate them all, stopping near roundabouts 9 and 21 to collect some passengers. All the bus stops have the location on the end and all the Hamad town roundabouts have a number on . 

Fact checkers can read more about Hamad Town and it's roundabouts here:

https://www.weetas.com/insights/en/walk-through-hamad-town.html



              This bus stop had a garbage bin ( but I only just saw it now!)

Once we circumnavigated Hamad Town we headed back to Souq Waqif (literally ‘the standing market’ in Arabic) so called because in the old days the merchants  used to stand on both sides of the road showcasing their goods and selling them to Passer's by. 


Twenty two minutes after leaving Souq Waqif we arrived at a much more modern market- City Centre Mall! According to it's website 
 
"It is the largest shopping, leisure and entertainment destination in Bahrain."  "Children can have the ride of their lives at Magic Planet, watch the latest blockbusters at Cineco20 Cinemas. With over 340 exclusive brands, 60 dining outlets and a million possibilities, you’ll be spoilt for choice at City Centre Bahrain."


After City Centre the next stop was Manama bus terminal where all but one passenger and I disembarked and our driver took a quick comfort break! Finally we headed to the new Bahrain International Airport where , at 6pm , I took a much needed comfort stop and went in search of food . After checking out Starbucks, Mac Donald's , AlBaik ( a Saudi fried chicken outlet) I asked at the Information desk if they had any non fast food restaurants. He said no and then suggested I try Crêpafe in the departures area. 


                   The two Pinoy staff made we very welcome at 
Crêpafe

It was a great suggestion and I found two lovely Pinoy staff who prepared and served me a crepe with smoked salmon and spinach, a fruit crepe with ice cream and two fresh orange juices and a bottle of water. The young man asked where I was flying to and I said if he could guess I would give him 5 Bd. He looked at me in disbelief and asked if I was serious. I replied yes and gave him a clue - " It is the most beautiful Island in the world".

He surprised us both by saying Palawan and winning 5 bd. His happiness was worth every dinar! He asked why I was taking photos and so I shared with him my blog and vlog , which he subscribed to! So Mabrook , Congratulations , Mr Gwapo (Raymond Mondejar Pacatan from Davao!)


              
              Our prizewinner , Raymond Mondejar Pacatan from Davao

Having checked the Bahrain Bus site from Crêpafe I saw that the number 10 bus was leaving the airport at 18.50 and I went downstairs and walked to the bus stop just as it arrived. The bus shelter at the Airport is the newest and smartest in Bahrain , but sadly I had no time to rest there! We headed off, spot on time, like all 7 buses I used in the day , and arrived at  Sahel Club-2/Hidd ( opposite Lulu) where I left my car  at 19.11.


         My final bus, spot on time, the number 10 from the Airport to Hidd


          The most modern , cleanest bus shelter of the day at Bahrain Airport!

Once again my thanks to everyone at Bahrain Bus for a wonderfully cheap and fascinating day out. I would highly recommend their service to anyone. Thanks also to Red Croissant Bakery and Crêpafe and the Karak tea shop at Hidd for keeping me fed and watered. 

If you missed the two earlier parts of this blog you will find them:





Click on the image below to access the Vlog:


Please do not forget to like and subscribe - we now have 84 subscribers and I would love to reach 100 before I get to Palawan! 

I achieved 3 challenges in one day:

  • 5000 steps ( nearly) and 5 photos ( an hour, I really am becoming like Beshy!)
  • Travelling around Bahrain on 7 buses over 9 hours for 750 fills

  •  Fasting for 16 hours and eating in the remaining 8 hrs.
As soon as I got home around 8 pm i fell into a deep asleep waking up at 4 am to start writing these blogs!

I hope you have enjoyed reading about my journey and , as usual, if you have any questions or feedback do get in touch through my email

                                    thebritishkabayan@gmail.com

This is TBK signing out and wishing you all Ingat Palagi ( stay safe ) and Kita Kits Palawan ( see you soon).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment