Remember me , the man who ate all the Sandwiches! - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Friday, January 7, 2022

Remember me , the man who ate all the Sandwiches!

                    
                      David and Lynda open my gift from Bahrain in 2010

Sadly David Green died of COV 19 last year. After he died I found this blog in draft so I thought I would share it with you all now, as I look back on those we lost to COV 19 in 2021.

I first met David Green in 1978 when I started at what was then Huddersfield Polytechnic and I was asked to run the Bar at Trinity Hall. David was the sales rep for Scottish and Newcastle breweries who supplied our beer! We became good friends and soon I met his lovely wife Lynda and the three kids who were not even teenagers back then , Jonathan, Alistair and Joanne.

In my second year I gave up the bar and David left S & N but we met again when I  helped out at what was called Poly Ent's, or when the live bands played in the main hall. Initially I volunteered to help unload the bands trucks and provide security on the stage ( standing in front of the loud speakers and back in 1979 we did not wear ear defenders!) . Then one night the bar, which was run by an outside Pub called the Slubbers Arms, was short of staff and I was asked if I could work for them, and guess who was helping them out- David Green. After we took everything back to a lock up garage and then went to the Pub for free beer and sandwiches. Being a poor student back then I ate all the sandwiches, and that became my nick name from David and his family. Years later when the landlady of the Slubbers Arms died, David and Lynda took it over and introduced real ale . Whenever I was working in or near Huddersfield I would call in and David would say "Oh its the man who ate all the sandwiches"

Eventually they retired from the Pub , but still did relief work if a Landlord was away on vacation. Then David started his fourth career as a writer, writing books on the Pubs of Huddersfield. I bought one and lent it to a Bahraini who was going to study there , and never got it back.


Finally a 31 year debt is repaid, Much to Dave and Lynda's amusement!


I gave Saleh a Bahraini jewelry box and told him the sandwich story. So he bought a  sandwich in Huddersfield, put it in the box, and presented it to Dave and Lynda at the George Hotel for me in 2010.

Before I left Bahrain I decided to replenish my library of books so I had plenty to read in Palawan and I asked David to send me two more signed copies of his book, one for me and one as a farewell present for my great colleague at Bapco, who was from Huddersfield, John Jaworski. After all it was John , and his son, who took Saleh to meet with David and Lynda and repay my college debt!

                                                    
                                                                  Saleh and David

                                
                                Christopher and John Jaworski

I later found out that after the tea, David took John and Christopher to visit a few of the local Hostelries of Huddersfield.  It coincided with the Great Bahrain Beer Festival in Awali so I gave John a couple of tee shirts for David and Lynda as well.

 
               The Bahrain Beer festival comes to Huddersfield , back in 2010.

I still keep in touch with Lynda Green by email and we commented the other week that we have now been friends for 43 years. Typical Yorkshire Hospitality! However sadly after my last Blog about David he died ( of COV 19, not from reading my blog!). Our condolences go to Lynda and the kids Jhoanne, Alistair and Johnathan. 

I thought it only fair to pay tribute to their kindness, and all the sandwiches, over all those years!

Thanks Lynda, and I look forward to reading your book all over again David once I get to Palawan . 

Until the next time ....Ingat, Kita kits...


No comments:

Post a Comment