TBK tells - 50 ways of becoming proudly Filipino- part five - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Friday, January 14, 2022

TBK tells - 50 ways of becoming proudly Filipino- part five

 
                 

                 One of my OOTD pics on Facebook

I blame TJ! She wrote on Facebook one day :

" Tatay, what's your OOTD? "

At the time I was still English so I asked what an OOTD was and was told it was an Outfit Of The Day. I tried the OOTD phrase with a few Pinoys and they all knew what it was so I decided to restart my list of 50 ( formerly 41!) ways I became proudly Filipino. So now I have an OOTD photo on Facebook each day so my anaks in Palawan can see what I am wearing. 

42. Having an OOTD!


                                           Kuya Vin in Vigan 

Then the next day I get a message from Kuya Vin in Vigan saying:

"U got that pinoy style taking pic lol "

He was referring to the way I had taken the selfie above using the camera on my phone and the mirror in my bedroom.

43. pinoy style taking pic

Another change in me now is that I take it as a great compliment when someone says I am doing something in a Pinoy way. I even find myself correcting Phillipino friends now and showing them the correct ( Pinoy) way of doing things.

For example I invited a friend to cook Adobo in my apartment in Dubai. I told him to send me a list of what he needed ( ingredients) and I would buy it. Then he asked me if I had a rice cooker and when I said no he exclaimed:

" So how will we cook the rice, Kuya?"

I replied:

"We put it in a saucepan one cup per person , rinse it , twice, cover it with water until the first joint of your finger and then boil until the water evaporates"

44. Cooking rice like a pinoy


Jeboy making his Cheesey cake in my kitchen

The same happened when Jeboy came to cook. He looked around and could not find what he wanted so said :

"Where is the chopping board , po"

I gave him a bowl, turned it over, and proceeded to chop the garlic on the top of the bowl as Jake had showed me!

" There po" I said feeling proudly Filipino

45. Chopping without a board like a pinoy

It was only when I was writing this Blog that I realised all the other ways that I had become proudly Filipino that had missed the earlier blogs, like the time Beshy taught me Tik Tok.


46. Making tik tok like a pinoy

Here in Dubai I have been boiling eggs for breakfast every third day and then letting them cool, take the shell off, dice them on my upturned bowl, mix them with salt and pepper and then spread the egg mayo between two bits of toast. How Pinoy is that? Next they will have me eating dried fish and vinegar! Char.



47. Having boiled eggs for breakfast like a pinoy

Whilst we are on the subject of breakfast I was in West Zone ( a Phillipino store near my apartment in Dubai ) and I found myself buying Longanisa to cook for breakfast. Then I had to message Kuya Vin in Vigan ( Longanisa is a Vigan specialty) to ask him how to cook it. A few hours later he replied:

"Just put it on a pot then put half cup of water then boiled it until water gone"


My Longanisa for breakfast from West Zone

For those who have not heard of Longanisa (or Longaniza as they call it in Spain):

Longaniza is a Spanish sausage similar to a chorizo and also closely associated with the Portuguese linguiça."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longaniza ( accessed 13.01.22)

Vigan, in the north of the Philippines ( Ilocos Norte) was heavily influenced by the Spanish. You can read more about Vigan and Kuya Vin by clicking the link below:

https://thebritishkabayan.blogspot.com/2021/07/inspiring-kabayan-series-eight-run-over.html

so we come to :

48. Having Longanisa for breakfast like a pinoy from Vigan!

As usual my special thanks to all my Kabayan for patiently teaching me how to be proudly Pinoy- I have had some of the best tutors like Jake, TJ and of course the one and only star of Tik tok and selfies- BESHY BOY!

Beshy Josh - Tik tok superstar

Beshy also taught me how to Photograph everything- like the view from my apartment ( or any hotel lobby, restaurant, friends birthday party, Christmas tree) and every meal before you eat . Char

So here it is , 49. Photographing your breakfast and posting it on Facebook ( or / and Instagram) like a pinoy !


So who noticed the 50th way I became like a pinoy ?

Pinoys always use the word Char or Charr ( short for Charot meaning joke) after every funny sentence!

So here it is , charr:

50. Saying char like a pinoy !



Well that's all for now , I hope you enjoyed my journey to becoming proudly Filipino as much as I did. I have to go and wash my shoes!

If you missed the other 41 ways I became proudly Pinoy click on the links below:

50 ways - part one

50 ways - part two

50 ways -Part three

50 ways -part four


As usual if you can think of anything else I need to learn write in the comments or email me on thebritishkabayan@gmail.com

Until the next blog please be careful out there. Ingat palagi

Kita kits

This is the British Kabayan , who is nearly Filipino, signing out from Dubai


No comments:

Post a Comment