The Al Fahidi Historical District, Dubai - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

The Al Fahidi Historical District, Dubai



                            The British Kabayan at the Arabian Tea Rooms in Al Fahidi

Having had breakfast at 7 am , and written a blog to raise funds for Adam in Palawan , I left the hotel at 9 am and walked to the Metro at Mashreq. I checked the RTA website before I left ( Richard would be impressed with my advanced planning skills) and identified I needed to get the Green line towards Etisalat and then change at BurJuman to the red line towards Centrepoint and get off at Sharaf DG. The journey time was 41 minutes and the cost 500 fills ( 1 GBP/ 5 AED)


The Metro was packed, and I suddenly felt very old when after a few stops where I was standing when a young African man got up and offered me his seat. I rarely use Public transport in Bahrain ( we only have busses) but the Dubai Metro is so simple ( red and green lines only) that I can manage it on my own! The problem is every time I come they change the station names. I think businesses must pay RTA a lot of money to have stops named after them so today I went through BurJuman on the way to Sharaf DG on the line to Etisalat. It used to be easy to know where you are as the Tannoy calls out each stop you are approaching . 

"The next stop will be Mall of the Emirates"

Now you have no idea as they call out the company names - its like being on a giant Arabic company Monopoly Board!



The only problem was when I reached Sharaf DG as I took a wrong turn and ended up waking in a circle before finding the correct road to the Rulers Palace. I then found my favourite Restaurant on my last trip- The Arabian tea rooms. It was completely full with a queue as it was lunch time ( 12 noon). Eventually they found me a table outside and I selected Hummus and Falafel ( salad) to be told that was not available as they were serving breakfast ( echoes of Kuwait). I changed my order to Liver and when it arrived it was the usual massive portion (enough for 2 with 2 huge pieces of Arabic bread)  and a beautiful Lemon Mint. 


                             My amazing lunch - pity I was alone!

When I eventually managed to pay, and politely declined to pay for the family of 6 behind me who somehow managed to order breakfast and lunch, and got my receipt , I headed to Dubai's oldest hotel- XVA. I was to be disappointed again as the Manager, who I met several times when I was last in Dubai was on a day off and so I just bought a panting from the shop , where I chatted to a lovely Pinay called Maya , who said she would pass my best wishes to Chandra. 


I walked down by the Creek, watched the Abra's and the tourists, cycle groups and people going about their business at the Rulers court  ( including a sweet cat sitting in the sun feeding her kittens) . Then I recorded a piece to camera ( oh listen to me , the vlog star!) for my Al Fahidi Vlog. I am sure Chester will doubtless process it one day when he clears the backlog! It was actually the last vlog for a while as Chester still has not cleared my Google drive where I upload all the clips for him to download and edit together. Once he has finished he then uploads them to TBK Vlog and Facebook page and publicises them.


"The traditional way of life which was prevalent in Dubai from 1950 to 1970s is shown at Al Fahidi Historical Neighborhood where buildings are built with wind towers and traditional building materials like stone, gypsum, sandal work, teak, palm fronds and wood are oriented side by side.

This separation by alleys, public squares and pathways, that gives natural and beautiful diversity to this district. This historic district is on the strategic location in Dubai Creek, which plays an important role in managing UAE and its commercial relation with overseas."

Source : https://www.uaewave.com/al-fahidi-historic-district/ ( accessed 21.12.21)

When I was in Dubai in July staying in Bur Dubai at the Arabian Courtyard I walked in this area daily. Back then it was 41 degrees and very humid. In December it falls to 18 degrees at night although it was 27 in the day. Back then the streets were deserted and the salesmen were begging me to go into their shops.  Today there were tour groups bein show around and the place was bustling with people doing their last minute Christmas shopping. I tried to go to Starbucks opposite the Museum of Illusions where Thang and I went after he recovered from COV 19. However every seat was taken inside and outside. A little further along I found a small Italian restaurant which was empty and there were two Pinay waitresses outside hustling for customers. Having had a big lunch I just wanted a could drink and Meryenda ( snack in Tagalog). I looked at their big menu poster and asked for a milkshake. " Sorry sir, not available"


We worked down the list but nothing I wanted was available! Eventually I had sparkling water and Tiramisu. It was beautifully presented and I asked her if she knew the Tagalog word for the dish . She replied that she did not so I educated her.

" It's BONGALICIOUS po"

It works every time- they both laughed and asked who taught me such words so I told her it was my "Jowa" ( partner) . When I paid and left I wished them Merry Christmas in Tagalog ( Maligiyang Pasko) and said Ingat Palagi (take care) and finally "  kita Kits" which means see you soon ( as regular readers of this blog will know!) . They replied with " Bring your Jowa po" . As a member of the PORTER family one always has to have the last word so I said "which one??" and waved goodbye!

I have to say I have loved learning and practicing my Tagalog as I transition toward my eventual move to the Philippines. The Pinoys all love the fact that you know their language and it's always a great conversation starter. One day I will stop speaking English and only speak Tagalog!


    My Christmas gift to myself- a Painting of XVA, Dubai's oldest hotel

I decided as by then it was around 3 pm I could not face a long walk to Sharaf DG Metro and then the long journey to Mashreq and another walk. So I got a taxi but we got stuck in the rush hour traffic. Eventually I returned to the hotel at 4 om to find for the second day my room had not been cleaned. When I tracked down the room attendant I found out he had 30 rooms to clean ( 15 hours backbreaking work) so I just collected the towels and emptied the bin and did the rest myself. He did come and change the bed later and was amazed I was a room cleaner when I was 20 years old and on my industrial release from University at a 1000 bedroom hotel in London. I will be buying him a thank you gift for Christmas.

Well another delightful day in Dubai comes to a close and I ate a smoked salmon salad Bagel as I wrote this and finished off with a cup of Earl Grey tea.

Tomorrow it's Wafi Mall for their Big Christmas tree , and then lunch at the Sofitel Obelisk before taking a water bus to Dubai Festival City ( DFC) to meet Jeboy at 5 om when he finishes work for dinner at Cheesecake ( the only one in Dubai I have not yet visited and my first visit to DFC!


No comments:

Post a Comment