Pinoy Nostalgia - Evolution in communication and media - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, June 7, 2021

Pinoy Nostalgia - Evolution in communication and media




Who remembers these? Pagers, bleeps, and Nokia phones?! I used to have a Nokia 6210 until someone stole it 6 years ago! Years before that I was on call for an IT project in the UK and had to carry a phone that looked like a brick as the battery was so large. It was too slow to charge in the house so i had to sit in the car to charge it.

When I found these old photos of old phones and Televisions in the Philippines on the Facebook group called PHILIPPINES OLD PHOTOS AND MEMORIES I knew I had to share them with you. I asked Chester to select his favourites (there were about 20 pictures in this category alone) and group them so they were easier to view in the blog. Some of you will remember the images from your childhood and I urge you to share them with your older relatives. Teachers feel free to share them with your students to remind them what life was like before SMART Phones and Netflix.

As I mentioned in my previous blog in this series ( Pinoy Nostalgia-Childhood street games ) Phillipino kids do not need toy ovens and vacuum cleaners to have fun, just a piece of string and some old cans is enough for them to communicate as this picture shows. 


I love the way some of the old black and white pictures have had colour added!

When we look back at the Evolution of the Media we see how the televisions have changed over the years. Now in Bahrain some families have a TV in every room, and some have bigger TV screens than we had in our classrooms at the Oil and Gas Academy. 


                 The big screen at the Oil and Gas Academy in Bahrain

Back then in the Philippines TV's were big and boxy and a rarity.

I found many old pictures of all the kids sitting around, tsinellas at the door , watching TV. There were even some of the Children peeping through the wall at some rich persons TV!


Nowadays the kids all have smart phones and can use them to watch Netflix as long as they have load and Wi-Fi and no Brown out!

In Barutaan Making is lucky to have a foam bed and gets his food served to him as he watches TV in the hallway- no wonder he is smiling!


 Occasionally the parents manage to pull them out of the house and away from their TV and phones for some fresh air!


                       Richelle's kids, Kobe and JP when they were younger

I can now wake up at 5 am in Bahrain and talk with Jhoanna and Grecil in Palawan where it is 10 am and have a video chat, exchange documents etc. which was invaluable when they were getting my house ready there in Puerto Princessa and I was trapped in Bahrain without a visa. 

                 

                                Grecil and Jhoanna at my house in Puerto Princessa


One of the shopping lists they sent me for furniture for my new house. I was even able to see my air freight delivered thanks to the evolution in communication and the media.


My lovely assistant, Jhoanna, in Puerto receives my air freight from Bahrain and thanks the guys who carried it all into the house.

I can also share all of this with you through the wonders of the Social Media. We now have The British Kabayan Facebook page, Blog and Vlog where you can see how we prepared for our move to Palawan. 

The British Kabayan's Vlog

Full details of all our social media are at the bottom of this blog so remember to view, like and subscribe!

                                                Who remembers wearing flares??

I hope you have enjoyed this quick glimpse at Pinoy Nostalgia and how there has been a tremendous evolution in communication and Media

I am still resistant to many of these changes having only recently got a smart phone and I still do not have a TV or use Netflix or Instagram etc. 

We will be back next week with another walk down memory lane in the Philippines looking at Technical convenience versus the Traditional ways.

Thanks as usual to Chester for grappling with the technology required to transfer the photos from Bahrain to the Philippines and arranging them so neatly. He also came up with the groupings and headings. In Palawan Jhoanna took the photo of Making watching TV ( as I lost the original!) Finally thanks to everyone who contributed the old pictures to the Facebook group PHILIPPINES OLD PHOTOS AND MEMORIES.

One day I will be there in the Philippines with you all, when the Cov 19 virus goes and they open to tourists again. Until then all I can do is wait patiently in Bahrain and write blogs!

Until the next time, Kita kits, Ingat Palagi and stay safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment