TBK cooks- Two easy dishes with shrimp - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, May 31, 2021

TBK cooks- Two easy dishes with shrimp

Jamie Oliver's Prawn Curry Pot Noodle

Some time ago I found a fun looking easy to make dish in Jamie Oliver's recipe book called Prawn Curry Pot Noodle. I rushed off to Alosra before we were locked down due to a spike in COV 19 cases post Eid and bought a big bag of frozen shrimp. Then when I finally made the pot noodle I realised I only needed 4 shrimp per person ( I also missed the bit where it said they had to be cooked!).

However, in my retirement, I have discovered whatever you need to know you just ask Google. So when I typed " What to do with a bag of defrosted shrimp?" it took me to this cute little video:

What to do with a bag of defrosted shrimp?


I love the way the video has all the ingredients on one page and then shows you what to do step by step. Being new to cooking by You Tube I found myself shouting at the laptop in an Uncle Roger voice .

" Slow down, you go to fast!"

If you have no idea who Uncle Roger is watch this:

Uncle Roger - How to cook rice

Then I realised it was a video so I could pause, stop , start and even rewind! 

So let me share each recipe with you, starting with the Prawn curry pot noodle. The ingredients are for one and it takes 10 mins and is 316 calories. The first thing I did is bought two one litre plastic jugs ( I made two portions) as then you can refrigerate and microwave them!

The ingredients are per person.  The toppings are a handful of fresh coriander and a wedge of lemon! So all you do is place the ingredients in your jug starting with the base of a stock cube, then tomato ketchup, curry powder, creamed coconut ( I used the top if a can of coconut milk), 2 cm grated ginger and a teaspoon of corn flour mixed with cold water- like so


Next cook 150 g noodles ( I could not find the Vac packed noodles Jamie referred to so I used egg noodles which you just place in a pan of boiling water) and add together with the sliced red pepper ( quarter pepper per person) and 2 tablespoons frozen peas.


Sadly my baby spinach ( and coriander) had gone off and due to the lockdown I could not get any more so I just added the 4 cooked peeled prawns. Mine were very small so I did not halve them and I added 8 ( I forgot to cook them but will microwave the pot later ) .Then you mix it all together and add 400ml of boiling kettle water. Again I used the coconut milk can to measure my 400 ml but this time I used a paper towel to hold it so I did not burn my hands!


                              How to measure 400 ml boiling hot water!

Once everything is mixed either cover with clingfilm as Jamie suggests or put the lid on as I did! Leave it for 2 minutes for the flavours to mingle .  You can then add the Coriander and Lemon and serve or store and cook in the Microwave for 2 minutes.

                                     

                                                           Jamie's Posh Pot Noodles


The British Kabayan cheap and cheerful pot noodles....


Finally I need to point out that Pot Noodle is a registered trade mark owned by Knoor-Nahmittel AG and other countries and Jamie Used it with their permission ( and I just copied and pasted!)

Special thanks , as usual, to Andrea for buying me this wonderful cookery book- Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food Recipe book for Christmas 2020- I have been working my way through the recipes and still have more to try which I will share in future blogs for you. I have now sent the book in my Babikayan box to Palawan as it was quite heavy so you will have to wait until I finally arrive in Palawan and Unpack!

Finally thanks to the one and only Cheeky Chappie, Chef Jamie Oliver for making it all sound so simple.



Now we move to China for the Broccoli and Shrimp dish for which you will need the following:

                        
                            Chef Coco taught me to get all my ingredients ready first!



First take the shrimp and marinade them in the wine (I used red wine vinegar as I don't drink wine any more) , corn starch , salt and pepper and an egg for 20 mins


Then dice your peppers, garlic, ginger, onion and broccoli and fry these in oil. Then add the chili flakes ( Patrick's favourite) and the sauce ( black been sauce, soy sauce and Oyster sauce.


                                               Just for Patrick!

Finally take the marinated shrimp and coat in potato starch * and fry in hot oil and then add to the broccoli and peppers etc.


* In case you are wondering what the difference between potato and corn starch is just ask Mr. Google




                  The British Kabayan's Broccoli and shrimp


We will be back soon with more delicious recipes for you!

Until then stay safe, wear your masks, keep your distance

Ingat Palagi, Kita kits , inshallah!


As usual Chester saw the recipe and came up with a Chinese cookery blog footer! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment