The one pot Ramadan challenge - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The one pot Ramadan challenge

 

Special thanks to Chester for designing the collage for our one pot Ramadan challenge

For those new to the British Kabayan Blog ( and with over 5000 readers we are picking up new readers daily) I am a Brit, stuck in Bahrain, on my way to my new life in the Philippines. Since I retired on 14 Feb I have downsized from a two room house to a studio flat with one working electric ring. The restaurants are shut from Sunrise to Sunset, and I am having to cook using one pan!

                     Chester Delos Santos Porter - my artistic and creative director 

Chester, the artistic director and marketing man for the British Kabayan Blog suggested I should take on a challenge for Ramadan and write about it:

“Speaking of which, have you entertained some challenge that may be content worthy? like....

 1. Spending only 20BD for food for a week challenge

2. No sugar this week challenge

3. 3-day low carb diet challenge

4. I only ate Talabat for 1 day challenge.”



                                        My Ramadan shopping!

In my old house I used to spend 100 bd a week on food and now I am down to 50! But 20? Then I felt really bad when Chester explained his mum managed on just 20 bd when the hairdressing salons were shut here in Bahrain due to COV 19- well done Elizabeth. Challenge accepted for the last week of Ramadan.

 

No sugar is easy as I don’t have sugar ( well apart from 6 cans of coke a week!) -ok no coke in week 2 of Ramadan

 

3 day lo carb diet- much needed – following the fine example of Alex Ginette- well done sir on loosing so much weight- ok week 3

 

Talabat- haha, never have and never will

 

So for week one it’s the one pot cooking challenge- how much can I make in just one pan. First some careful menu planning:

 

Menu Ramadan

                                             B                                               L                                  D

Tues 13                          HBE and CC                              Pasta Bolognaise       Tony Roma

Weds 14                       Fruit parfait                  Sweet and Sour chicken              Dome

Thurs 15                      HBE and CC                    Smoked Salmon salad         Thai Juffair                                       

Friday   16               Bacon and egg                    Adobo                                     Fish Market

Sat 17                     Fruit parfait                        Tuna salad                                 Nandos

Sun 18                  All bran and Bananas          Quinoa salad                         Al Abraj

Mon 19                HBE and CC                          Turkey salad                    The Frying Scotsman

 

                                                     9 hard boiled eggs in one pot

Then some careful preparation to maximize pan use- we counted how many hard boiled eggs ( HBE) we needed ( 6 for breakfast and 3 for my salads) and the first one pot was underway – 9 hard boiled eggs. As they cooked I made coffee and cut the whole meal bread and spread the low fat cottage cheese. I found something fascinating from my blog – the Langley Vale Cottage cheese I buy in Bahrain comes from a farm opposite my friends’ family in Huddersfield – West Yorkshire, UK. Thanks for that Lynda Green. When the eggs had boiled for 10 mins I took off the shells and had two for breakfast and put the rest in the fridge.


Hard boiled eggs, Low fat cottage cheese, Granary bread and Black coffee - no sugar!

The secret of being a good chef is what the French call “Mis en Place” or put in place. Before you cook make sure you have everything ( ingredients) in place – hard boiled eggs, lettuce, cucumber etc. ready for your salads which we will make this evening. I have also defrosted in the fridge the berries for the Fruit Parfait and the belly pork for the Adobo on Friday. This avoids having to defrost frozen food under hot water or in the microwave which can cause food poisoning- so plan ahead and defrost only in the fridge.

                                         Summer Fruits for my Berry Parfait

So on Tuesday, the first day of Ramadan,  I ate my hard boiled eggs and cottage cheese and then prepared for Wednesday. In my old house I had some sundae glasses I used for my Berry Parfait but here in Juffair I had to improvise with drinking glasses and some disposable bowls I purchased from Alosra! Its a very simple dish to make- you layer the defrosted berries and low fat yogurt. Having made it ( without the recipe , in my defense) , I remembered I usually cook  the berries with honey and let them cool and then layer with muesli or granola to give it some crunch. I think this will be a week of compromise!


                                          My Berry Parfait

                                     The ingredients for my Pasta Bolognaise

After breakfast I moved on to make lunch and remembered an old recipe from 2000 when I lived with the Gregory's after I came back from Kuwait. You take some mince beef and brown it then add a bolognaise sauce in a jar. Next wash the pan and cook the pasta. Finally pour the sauce over the cooked mince and you have a delicious Pasta Bolognaise in one pot!


                               Cooking the low fat minced beef in the pot



                               Then the pasta in the same pot

             Finally you add the bolognaise sauce from the jar and cook for 15 mins

For Wednesday I had Sweet and Sour Chicken- another Diane Gregory special- you dice the chicken breast and cook in oil and then add the Sweet and Sour sauce to the pot and cook for 15 mins- easy! Once I had made it I decided it needed some rice so I nipped out to Ramez, washed the pan, and cooked some rice. As with all these meals I made enough for two and only ate one portion. So now I have all next weeks meals ready as well! It is amazing what you can do with just  one pot! My original plan was to go out to dinner every night this week but in the end I had so much food left I ate at home, apart from Thursday when I went to a new Thai restaurant with a new Thai friend.


                    Sweet and Sour Chicken- cooked in one pot

The hardest dish was my Phillipino specialty- Manok and Baboy Adobo which I made on Wednesday ready to eat on Friday with my houseboys Jake and Corleen to celebrate the end of the first week of Ramadan . This required me to cook a whole chicken, a kilogram of Belly Pork and Chicken livers with vinegar , water and soy sauce. Back in Awali I had several large saucepans for this and a wok to brown the chicken and pork. Here in Juffair I just had my faithful small one pot, so I cooked the food in small batches like so:


  First cook the chicken in vinegar and water ( there should be garlic and bayleaf )

 Next cook the pork- brown it in oil first then add the vinegar and water from the Chicken


Next the Chicken livers with a cup of water- cook for 10 mins and pound half way through

Finally you add the soy sauce to the liquid from the chicken livers and the pork and the chicken to make the Adobo sauce. I thinks when Corleen and Jake are here I will microwave each portion separately with rice in some new bowls I bought while I was at Ramez. I hope it tastes as Masarap as usual, this was certainly the hardest dish to cook on one pan as there is enough for 6 people !

              My finished Manok and Baboy Adobo for Friday all cooked in one pot

In between the one pot dishes I had what the Pinoys call Merianda ( snacks) such as Rambutan ( Thai fruit), Melon, Scones with clotted cream and Jam and, of course, Earl Grey Tea. For lunch I had salads on alternate days with Tuna, Quinoa, Avocado and Smoked Salmon ( with help from The Cheesecake Factory and Starbucks!)



Thanks for Challenging me Chester, It's been a lot of fun, very tasty, cheap, and a good start to the Holy month. It also helped me get back into cooking again after a month of eating out having moved into a smaller flat with a very small kitchen- just a microwave, kettle and an electric cooker with only one ring working. I hope you have enjoyed following my one pot challenge.

However I learnt this week how much you can do with one pot! Bring in the next challenge! Meanwhile to all our readers we wish you...





1 comment: