The British Kabayan cooks Chicken Pastel, back in 2013! - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, October 5, 2020

The British Kabayan cooks Chicken Pastel, back in 2013!

 Here is a blog I wrote in 2015 about our Pinoy Christmas Dinner in Bahrain in 2013!


                                       My Chicken Pastel

 

Well here it is the last recipe from my recipe book and as its December I will end with a dish my Filipino friends asked me to cook for them at our 2013 Filipino Christmas Dinner- it’s called Chicken Pastel.

For those of you who did not read the story of my recipe book in my original blogs here is the story:

 

                        My old recipe book and one of my cold soups

Back in 1976 my Mother gave me a recipe book to put all my favourite recipes in. It has been so well used over the years that it was falling apart and my favourite recipes were covered in tomato sauce, cherries, flour and other ingredients. In December 2102, when on holiday in Sydney, Australia I decided to start to type all the recipes and add photos of the dishes as I made them. I soon got bored typing and so asked my friends Jeyboy and Patrick to assist. The huge task was finally finished in December 2014 when I had it professionally designed by colleague Jenan. Another friend Adam negotiated a special price to get it copied and spiral bound. I then distributed all 50 copies to my friends around the world. The feedback has been very positive so I  shared one of my favourite recipes with my readers on my old blog at the end of each month. 

We then made a recipe calendar and later, as that was so popular, made an on line version which you can see by clicking the link below: 

http://online.fliphtml5.com/cctg/kprw/

Chef Neil’s Chicken Pastel- Serves 8 Filipinos! (Chicken casserole baked in a crust)

Ingredients:

1 whole chicken, about 1 kg. (2lb), cut into bite-sized pieces

Juice of 4 calamansi (small limes)

60ml (14/ cup) soy sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 chorizo sausages, sliced on the diagonal about 1cm (12/) inch thick

50g (¼ cup) butter

1 medium onion, diced

34- cloves garlic, peeled and diced

250 ml (1 cup) water

1 medium carrot, sliced into rounds

2 medium potatoes cut into quarters

60 ml (14/ cup) white wine

140g (5 oz.) tin Vienna sausage, cut into 1-cm (12/ inch) in pieces

250 g (1 cup) button mushrooms

200 g (1 cup) green peas

Salt and pepper

2 tablespoons corn-starch

60 ml (14/ cup) water

3 hard-boiled eggs 

1 standard pie crust

1 egg yolk, lightly beaten

 

Method ( or Procedure as my Kabayan say) 

 

1. Marinade the chicken in calamansi juice and soy sauce. 

 

2. In a casserole, heat olive oil and sauté chorizo until firm, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove chorizo and set aside. 

 

3. Add butter to casserole. When the butter melts, sauté the onion until it is transparent, 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the chicken (discarding the marinade) and brown. 

 

4. Stir in the water and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. Add carrot and potatoes and simmer until chicken, carrot and potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in white wine, sausage, mushrooms, peas and cooked chorizo. Season with salt and pepper. 

 


 

 

5. Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F). In a small bowl, blend the corn-starch and water until smooth and stir into casserole. Simmer until liquid thickens, about 5 minutes.

6. Spoon mixture into a baking dish. Slice hard-boiled eggs and place on top of mixture. Cover baking dish with the pie crust and brush the crust with egg yolk. 

Make slits on surface of the crust to let steam escape. Bake for about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown

This recipe came from “Filipino Favourites “by Norma Olizon- Chikiamco

It was certainly a favourite of my Filipino colleagues at Bapco!

 

          Pinoy lunch at the old Training and Development Department in 2013
                         with Dino, Ronnie, Sheryl, Hazel and Cheryl

 

DO NOT FORGET TO TAKE IT OUT OF THE OVEN!

 
Our 2013 Christmas dinner with Mike, Jay, The British Kabayan, Coco and Tina

For those who have not heard the story some of my guests could not make it at the last minute to my 2013 Pinoy Christmas dinner. Having made two Chicken Pastel, 2 Morcon, as well as starters, and dessert we realised we had too much food for the guests. Ate Hazel suggested we just served one of each item and left the others in the oven in case we needed them. For one reason and another I forgot they were there and it was only two weeks later when I went to use the oven that I found them! The smell was awful!

                 Ready for the 2013 Pinoy Christmas Lunch in Awali, Bahrain
 

Chef Neil

Special thanks to:

 

        The original 2013 Chef Neil apron, a Christmas gift from Corleen

·       Corleen Duero for the original Chef Neil apron

·       Adam Eddie- Apron photography and recipe book printing

·       Hazel for taking the blame when I left the Chicken pastel in the oven for two weeks!

           The 2013 Pinoy Christmas buffet- name tags designed by Ate Hazel
 

·       To you all for reading my blogs and the wonderful feedback. Someone asked me recently what I was going to do at the end of my year’s blogging and I simply replied- WORK!

All that remains now is to wish you all a very Happy New Year and to my Pinoy friends a special greeting:

          Maligayang Pasko, Manigong Bagong Taon, Kabayan!

Mahal Kita
xxx

Ingat Palagi

Kita Kits

 


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment