TBK Travels -Glad to be back in Bahrain after a few days in Kuwait - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Friday, October 23, 2020

TBK Travels -Glad to be back in Bahrain after a few days in Kuwait

 

                                                             Kuwait Navy Patrol

Kuwait – the last day

Good morning all from Sunny warm (well compared to Kuwait and the UK) Bahrain. Back to work today after 10 lovely days off. As I waited for the flight at Kuwait airport (to call it “International” would be to insult airports like Doha and Dubai) I reflected on some of the best and worst decisions I have made in the last 55 years.

Leaving Kuwait in 1999 after just 7 months on my first job in the Middle East was one of the better ones! Moving to Bahrain the best ever. Coming back this week to check I had made the right decision – great idea. Not coming back last year to see Jeyboy was to waste a year of my life and coming this year- best decision ever! I could go on but I think you get the general idea.

So how did we spend our last day together? Jeyboy had a lie in at home and I was up early at the hotel to pack and have breakfast. Being a little concerned that I might be faltering in Khalid’s challenge to get to 90 KG by the end of February I then headed out to the Cornice for a final walk. For the fist time this week the flu started to fade and I felt warm in the sun. There were the usual walkers, cyclists, skaters, and cats exercising in the sun and the two Starbucks Café’s were doing a good trade. 


 

The route is well signposted, with clear rules and markings on the path and on signs regarding which sides the cyclists and the walkers/joggers should go. But just like the red traffic lights in Bahrain the majority of people ignore them and wonder why they crash. A further improvement would be to establish a cat lane as the cats I saw looked very confused as to which side of the path they should be on.

                               But which side do the cats go?
 

At the half way point I had a black coffee and a bag of nuts while I watched 3 boats from the Kuwait Navy patrolling the coast and the fishermen on shore and at sea.

 

                     Eating my nuts and watching the Kuwait Navy Patrol

Returning to the hotel 2 hours later for a shower I found Jeyboy waiting in the hotel lounge so we had a hot chocolate and exchanged gifts before heading out for coffee at Starbucks ( yes I have finally succumbed to the Habibi culture sitting around chatting and drinking coffee and watching the world go by – with 30% off silly not to really!)and then on to lunch at Pizza Hutt. A kid’s birthday party had taken over the restaurants so we had to sit outside as we shared a last meal together and reminisced. Then back to the hotel at 3 to get my bag and head to the airport where we had some water and fruit Salad.

Finally it was time to say goodbye and I then had a horrendous wait to check in with 100 Indians each with 10 boxes and several cases, and just 3 desks open- Gulf Air at its best (Kuwait airport does not do web check in and bag drops!) then an even longer queue at passport control and a lengthy walk to the gate ( I think either the airport AC was broken or turned up to maximum heat). The queue for the toilets was even worse so I gave up and went to sit at the gate where I was surrounded by people screaming into phones in Hindi ad the call to prayer over the tannoy. By 5 pm I had lost the will to live and just wished the 1820 plane would hurry up and arrive. But with the western runway closed for Maintenance and the Eastern runway cracking due to the recent heavy rain there was little hope of that. I took a vow never to criticize Bahrain airport again! Also never to return to Kuwait- but Jeyboy the offer regarding Bahrain still stands! ( and of course in Palawan next year po!)

                                Neil and Jeyboy in Bahrain in 2013

There are only a few photos to go with today’s blog as I did not let Jeyboy get his hands on the camera! I hope you enjoyed sharing my trip to Kuwait and my very deepest thanks to Jeyboy and the Ibis hotel for looking after me so well ( and of course to the Alshaya group for all the discount!). If anyone in Bahrain has a job for a super talented cook, host, Zumba teacher, dancer, model etc please get in touch- I know just the guy for you!

The next holiday blog will be from Doha and Bangladesh as soon as I agree the next 10 days off with my boss!

This is Blogger Neil signing off, glad to be back home in Bahrain.

PS- a few days later in Bahrain's Gulf Daily news I saw the headline:

"

Survey ranks Kuwait as worst destination for expats in 2020"

Case proven my Lord!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment