Inspiring Kabayan series Four- Zumba teacher, Chef, Host, and the cutest dimples - Jeboy Dumpa - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Sunday, September 6, 2020

Inspiring Kabayan series Four- Zumba teacher, Chef, Host, and the cutest dimples - Jeboy Dumpa

 

                                                       Jeboy Dumpa, My Angel in Dubai

Back in 2013 I was chatting to an OFW in Kuwait- he had a 2 week vacation but as he had not completed two years service his employer, Alshya, would not pay for him to go home to the Philippines. On his wages he could not afford the flight. So I flew him to Bahrain, put him up in a hotel , and had him do some work for me , typing a recipe book I was producing, wrapping gifts for my students at work and cooking and cleaning.

In the evenings I would take him out for meals in Adilya, where he was staying, and at at the weekend we went touring Bahrain with my then partner, Jay. We had a great time and he told me all about his job as a Line Cook for The Cheesecake Factory in Kuwait. At that time we did not have a Cheesecake here in Bahrain so as an ex hospitality employee I was fascinated by the size of their operation. 

      
     The British Kabayan entertains Jeboy at Fusions at the Gulf Hotel in 2013
 

In 2014 I flew to Kuwait, where I worked back in 2000 for 6 months for AlHomaizi International,  and stayed at the Ibis Hotel. As Jeboy and I were not married they would not let him up to my room. We spent two weeks chatting in the lounge and going out to eat in the evenings. Kuwait was as bad as I remembered . The Kuwait Towers were closed for Maintenance. Most places did not open for lunch until 2 pm and for dinner until 10 pm. Jeyboy took me to the Avenues in Kuwait and we saw the huge Cheesecake Factory where he worked . Later we visited some smaller restaurants where he had helped train the staff for as they opened. Sometimes he had helped out when they were short staffed. It was like traveling with Royalty ( or Patrick) as everyone kept coming up and saying "Hey , Jeboy, Musta? "

                                                       
                            Jeboy the host, Cheesecake, Dubai

In 2014 Jeyboy moved to the Cheesecake Factory restaurants in Dubai ( having decided not to come to the new one in Bahrain , sadly) and took up a new job as Host. If he was good in the kitchen, which I know he was, he excelled as host with his beautiful hair and dimples. By then he had started to become a little more flamboyant, which really suited him. Of course the customers loved him. I visited him several times over the years whenever I was in Dubai and we always spent a day together to fit around his shifts. 

One time we travelled on the Big Bus, on another we went on the tram , Metro and even an Abra in Dubai Creek. In 2019 we went to Green Planet and in 2020 we went to Miracle gardens. Sadly in July 2021 he did not respond to my emails so we were unable to meet up. I went to The Cheesecake Factory at Mall of the Emirates but the server had not heard of Jeboy. I could not find him on Facebook any more. He had an Instagram account so I messaged him there but no reply as yet! Then Leo and I went to Dubai Mall to get the Big Bus in August 2021 so we called at The Cheesecake Factory there . At my request they called the Manager there who had been at Dubai Mall since Cheesecake opened there. She knew Jeboy and told me he was now in the admin office at their Dubai Festival Hall store. We planned to go there but never made it!

When I returned to Dubai in December 2021 Jeboy was the first to reply and volunteer to do my washing and ironing for 2 months. We had a great day out going on the Metro, Tram and Water taxi to JBR and then walked over to Bluewater to see the magnificent Ain Dubai. I lent him my camera and he took loads of Artistic photos and videos as we celebrated 8 years of friendship with Breakfast,  Lunch and Meryenda around Dubai. He was showing me more of hos wonderful cakes like the one below, my personal favourite!


                                           One of Jeboy's cakes
 

It was in Dubai that Jeboy started baking and utilizing his kitchen skills to make birthday cakes to order. He also made other Pinoy delicacies that he would advertise on Facebook and sell to the huge Pinoy community here in Dubai. He also started teaching Zumba and developed a big following in the Pinoy community.


                        Jeboy, Dubai Marina, December 2021

As with all OFW all the money he earned was sent back home and his dad designed and built a beautiful 7 roomed house ( he has 4 siblings) high in the hills above Cavite with spectacular views. He also bought a Condo for his sister in Manila. This year his sister turns 21 and to celebrate he flew her to Dubai for Christmas. I am looking forward to meeting her before I leave!

                                           Jeboy the Zumba Instructor
 

Not content with having held two jobs with Cheesecake in two Gulf countries he moved again in January 2020 to become Restaurant Administrator for Cheesecake in Dubai and he has been in that role since.

Like all my Pinoy friends Jeyboy is always cheerful and happy whilst being very focused on his career, his businesses and his property empire! I am looking forward to repaying all his kindness to me over the last 7 years when he comes on Vacation to Palawan and he has promised I can stay at his house in the provinces when it is finally finished!


It has been my pleasure and honour to have been a friend of such a hard working Pinoy / OFW and I wish him every success for the future.

Jeyboy , I think you know, but Mahal Kita Palagi!


                   My Christmas present to Jeboy in 2021!

Kita Kits, Ingat

So, who will be the next Pinoy to feature in this series?

Check back next week to find out

Until then, from one line cook to another, Jeboy .....



No comments:

Post a Comment