TBK Travels to Cambodia ( Phnom Pehn and Siem Reip) - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Thursday, June 25, 2020

TBK Travels to Cambodia ( Phnom Pehn and Siem Reip)

                            
                             The Royal Palace in Phnom Pehn

One of the joys of Facebook is it gives you daily memories from 1 , 2 and 3 years ago and the week I wrote this blog I had just returned from several trips to Cambodia , so it seemed like a good idea for a Blog!

                                        
                                Ch Hai on Pub Street in Siem Reip

I have been five times to Cambodia staying in Phnom Pehn, the capital, ( twice) Siem Reip (SR) in the North ( twice ) and Sihanoukville and the Island of Koh Rong in the south. On my first trip I met Ch Hai in the Sarai Resort and Spa at Siem Reip and we lazed by the pool and had lunch. In the evening we went exploring Pub Street . The next day I had my first early morning tour of Angkor Wat.


                  
                          The beautiful Sarai Resort and Spa in Siem Reip

I also love Cambodian food and have done two cookery courses with the chefs at the Sarai Resort and Spa in Siem Reip. It is an amazing hotel and I have stayed there twice. They have a Spa and I have had several Lemon grass massages there over the years . They also arrange transport and tours and there is a great on site restaurant. I thoroughly recommend it ( https://www.sarairesort.com/ )

When I left Sarai last time they told me to Book direct for more discount ( they have to pay a huge commission to Booking.com)

               
                 My first Cambodian cookery course at Sarai Resort and Spa


SR is also home to the amazing Angkor Wat and other temples . With a good guide you can get great photos as the sun rises and learn the history of these amazing buildings.

The temples were rented from the Cambodian Government. Initially they were run by a privately owned corporation. They had a massive state of the art ticketing hall with about 50 ticket desks open from 5 am where you had your photo taken and printed on your pass. You had to wear this and show it at every temple and often on the roads between. In 2016 the temples were taken back from the private company and are now run by Apsara Authority , which is a state agent, so money from the ticket sales helps fuel the Cambodian Economy. Thanks to Sovarth for proof reading this blog and updating me!

The place has a long and interesting history and is one of the places in the world you must visit before you die. I went back a second time just to get better photos of it!

The temple at Angkor Watt is the biggest in the world and was built in the 12th Century. According to Wikipedia

"The monument was made out of 5 million to 10 million sandstone blocks with a maximum weight of 1.5 tons each."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angkor_Wat ( accessed 25.6.2020)

Siem Reip also has a street full of Restaurants and pubs  called Pub street,  if you like that kind of thing. There are many markets selling food and a night market for tourist gifts. There is also a tour to the floating market on a boat. Siem Reip is usually a one night stop on most peoples itineraries of Cambodia, Malaysia and Vietnam. I would suggest that Cambodia should be a country you visit on it's own and Siem Reip is well worth a 3 day visit, maybe 4.

                                 
                                    Early morning at Angkor Watt

Phnom Pehn ( PP) , the capital, has plenty to do and lots of really good cheap hotels like Okay Boutique and Royal Mekong, which are close to the Palace. It's easy to walk around and you can wander by the Mighty Mekong River, or visit the many markets and the National Museum.

Do not be put off by the Tuk tuk drivers who will tell you the Museum is closed but they can take you to the Killing fields ( a long way out of town and best done as part of a tour). PP has preserved some very sad memories from the time of the Khmer Rouge. Largely unseen by the West millions were tortured and killed at the Killing Fields or at the site of the Genocide Museum. Both are must see places , but not on the same day- they are just too harrowing. Sovarth and I had an interesting discussion about how Cambodia is trying to put this harrowing part of it's history behind it and move on. At the same time it respectfully pays tribute to those who died in the genocide many years ago. I for one grew up not knowing about the Khmer Rouge or the Killing fields. I even took a young Cambodian there for his first visit and he too was moved by what he saw.

                   
                 Map of the Killing fields- Google it if you want to find out more

Again there are lots of restaurants , bars and clubs in PP and Chin Meng Jau was a waiter in the VIP suite at Friends restaurant. He invited me one night and I had a great meal and watched the live band ( and got very drunk in the days when I used to drink!)


One of my favourite places to eat was hidden away in the grounds of the National Museum. It is a cute restaurant with Cambodian staff , amazing music and lots of young customers from the surrounding schools and Art College.

The other amazing thing about Cambodia is the great looking guys and their friendly hospitality. Sonchek took me for dinner on his moped ( scary experience!) when I ran out of money .  The same week when I had no money Sovarth paid for a Grab ride to the airport.

Chin Meng Jau accompanied me to the Killing Fields outside PP and on various other tours. He was back in touch last time I visited but we could not find a mutually convenient time to meet!


                                              Chin Meng Jau
                                   
      
 Having breakfast with beautiful Panha at the now closed Jay's diner in PP

The guys all showed me around, came for meals, and a couple stayed for a few nights. It is always helpful to have a translator and someone who knows their way around! Sovarth is still in touch to this day . 


Sovarth, who went to college in East Sussex and worked as IT Consultant at 
Save the Children Cambodia.  He paid for my Grab to the airport when I ran out of cash on the last day!

Mr Chen joined our Challenge Aref weight loss challenge in 2019 but I had to pay his contribution to the charity!

                                                              
                                       Mr Chen who still owes me 50 bd!

            
         The Cartoon Mr Chen , drawn by one of my students, Salman Alzaimoor

( For more information on the Challenge Aref Charity weight loss competition you can read our eBook by copying and pasting this link into your browser:

Challenge Aref- the e book

Back to Cambodia!

I first went to Phnom Pehn in 2016 as part of my Asian tour taking in Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam and Cambodia and Thailand . I flew into Siem Reap and then Business class from SR to PP ( by the time I booked it all the other seats had sold out so there were 38 economy class passengers and me in Business for the 45 minute flight- hilarious!) . You can read more about that in this eBook:

Travels in Asia- the e book

My second trip was to PP and then Sihanoukville and Koh Rong , but I will cover that in another Blog!

Finally I went back to Cambodia and Thailand in December 2019 (and visited SR and PP). That is when Gulf Air lost one of my flights and I had to pay again in Thailand to get to Cambodia and back. That is why I ran out of money in the last few days in PP!

I thoroughly recommend you visit Cambodia!




No comments:

Post a Comment