TBK tries to go from 6 bins to 1 - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Sunday, January 16, 2022

TBK tries to go from 6 bins to 1

During the COV 19 Pandemic I was not allowed out of Bahrain for my vacation so I rented an apartment just to get away from home for a week.



My apartment in Bahrain ( SPOT)

It was very modern with two toilets ( more than my house!) , kitchen , bedroom and lounge. The best thing was the view from the 20th floor overlooking the American Naval base. 

 

Taking in the view form the 20th Floor


The first couple of days I had take away meals but then I collected some food from home and started cooking.

It was then I realised the apartment only had one bin. 


 

The single bin at my rented apartment in Juffair, Bahrain

 
In Awali I had 6 bins:
  1. Glass
  2. Plastic
  3. Cans
  4. Paper
  5. Compost
  6. Trash


It seemed so strange putting everything in one bin after 10 years of carefully recycling everything! The bin filled up really fast with empty coke cans, plastic bottles and containers, and unused food.

At home I usually threw maybe two shopping bags of waste into the trash each week and 4 big bin bags go to the recycling cages at work.


The recycling cages at work took plastic, cans, paper and cardboard

The food waste went in my compost bins ( not only mine but also the vegetable peelings etc. from my two neighbours, Alpesh and Matthew.

 

My 6 compost drums in Awali that turned food waste, grass and shredded paper into organic compost

 I estimated 90% of my waste was recycled and 10% went to landfill. 

In the apartment the  black bin bag was filled every two days. So with 30 floors and 10 apartments on each floor that's 900 bin bags of waste going to landfill from one building, when. If they had provided recycling on each floor that could have been reduced to 90 bags. 

The worst thing was the fact that I had no choice whether to recycle or not. I was not encouraged to recycle by the provision of recycling bins in every room like we had at work.

It made me realise how far that we had come on our recycling journey, that it now feels wrong not to recycle, and I have already sent all my recycling bins to the Philippines!

Until the next time, this is the British Kubayan, signing out.

Kita kits, Ingat Palagi




No comments:

Post a Comment