TBK Travels to the Philippines, part eleven, my first visit to the Underground river in 2013 - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

TBK Travels to the Philippines, part eleven, my first visit to the Underground river in 2013


Back in 2013 my first visit to the Underground river

When I first met Drew in 2013 he insisted I go to the world famous Underground River and arranged transport and tickets. The place gets so busy it is best to get these in advance he explained. Our van came to collect us from the Microtel and we headed off to Sabang, which is a 2 hour journey. We stopped on the way at a viewing point, and take photos of each-other!


How he has changed over the last 9 years!
 

Ok , so I put on a few Kg as well, but at least I had my hair cut!

Eventually we arrived and queued up under a tent for our boat to the Underground River. Once there we queued again, donning our helmets and life jackets until finally it was our turn to get in the small boat that takes you through the cave network. 


Tent one for the big boat


Waiting for our Underground River tour
 

Smaller tent two for smaller boat two

Then the boatman casts off and the tourist at the front shines the light as directed:  

"To the left, po, no the LEFT". 

The cave network smells of Bat poo, and occasionally a startled bat flies past your ear and the boatman highlights the various shapes of stone in the caves :

"On the right is Sharon Stone, on the right po"

And so on. There are several boats passing in and out at the same time and you soon learn that the boatman's humorous jokes are just part of a script they all have to learn.


The boat enters the cave


And finally we return to the light and fresh air

After your tour there is a park, souvenirs and scary animals to see and finally you wait on the beach for your boat back ( my favourite part!)


Drew and I on the beach at Sabang

We even had a swim ( yes, me swim, a rare event) before returning to the van and to the Microtel in Puerto Princessa...


Just like the opening of a James Bond Movie!

Somewhere along the way we posed by the Elephant caves, which lead down to the river below.


Posing by the elephant cave in 2013

Many years later, in Puerto, I met a guy called Arvin who then worked at a hotel near the underground river and he told me it was a beautiful area, with a lot more than just the Underground River to visit. So in 2020, on 1st January, Sir Randolph and I booked a tour to......

The Underground River. A place I said I would never go back to! I will tell you all about that in another blog.  

So, until then, this is the British Kubayan, back in Puerto in 2019 ( just) signing off and wishing you a very Happy New Year.

Ingat

Kita kits xx

No comments:

Post a Comment