TBK Travels to the Philippines- part twelve - Life in Manila - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Sunday, December 26, 2021

TBK Travels to the Philippines- part twelve - Life in Manila


My second home in Manila, from 2013 to 2021

The first time I went to Manila was in 2000 when I was working in Kuwait. We flew first class and were picked up by Chauffeur driven Mercedes and edged our way through the Manila traffic to the Shangri-La Makati Manila. One of the finest hotels in the city. But then, back in 2000 my then employers, Al Homaizi International, based in Kuwait, had money to burn!

When I returned, at my own expense, in 2011, I asked my then co-worker, Ate Hazel where to stay and she recommended the Heritage Hotel in Pasay. Since then the grand old lady (The Heritage hotel, not ate Hazel!) has been my second home in Manila. The Heritage has undoubtedly seen better days but it has a great location at the end of EDSA,  within walking distance of Mall of Asia and Manila Bay, and close to the airport (as the crow flies, but for a crawling taxi in rush hour traffic, a little longer!). It has a pool and gym, and one time, when I was taken ill, I discovered a doctor’s surgery in the basement. I use it as a base, flying in to the International airport. Then I unpack and repack, leaving my big suitcase in the hotel's left luggage room. Then I depart on a Victory Liner ( coach) to other destinations in Luzon. Sometimes I fly by plane from the nearby domestic airport, to the other islands. 


A Luxury Victory Liner to Olongapo with rest room and Wi-Fi traveling down SCTEX, one of the many fast toll roads in Luzon

If you live outside the Philippines Victory Liner is the biggest coach operators there ( Like Greyhound in USA)  running normal and luxury coaches all over Luzon. On the luxury coaches they use the toll roads, have a toilet and a hostess, and you get Sky flakes and bottled water. I used them to get to Baguio, Angeles and Subic and many other places. One of the reasons I love using coaches in the Philippines is that I can relax, read, listen to music. It is great to have someone else drive me around! As you are high up it’s a great way to see Manila life as you edge through the traffic. When you finally get out of the city you can watch the provinces flash by and see the lovely countryside.


Watching daily life unfold as we leave Manila in our Luxury Victory Liner

The other advantage of being close to EDSA is that my friends can get to see me using the cheaper coaches from the provinces. Vin came down twice from Vigan (about a 7-hour journey) and Dherrick also visited twice. 

Dherrick was a very interesting character who applied to me for a job as a care giver as he had just qualified and wanted to move overseas. I thought he might be able to look after me as my health deteriorated in my old age . I invited him to come for an interview in Manila. He set off by coach on the 7 hour journey from the Provinces to see me. I still had a mobile back in 2013 so he updated me by text on his progress. The coach was doing well until it hit the Manila rush hour! Then he had to catch a bus to the hotel being a poor just graduated student! He finally arrived 3 hours late , not a good start for an interview. By then I was starving so we walked to Mall of Asia for dinner.




Dherrick showing me his game boy or whatever its called at MOA over dinner
 
 
Mall of Asia (MOA) is one of the biggest Malls in the Philippines and is so large that the first time I went there in 2011 I only saw the front half. When Dherrick visited in 2013 he said “Let’s eat overlooking Manila Bay” and I discovered the second half of MOA which has many restaurants overlooking the Bay! Kuya Dino, one of my co-workers in Bahrain, also introduced me to his favourite shop in MOA called Kultura, which does authentic Pinoy Pasalubong, and we get gifts for each other whenever we are back “home"


The British Kabayan on the bridge from MOA to Manila bay
 
When we returned to the hotel we discussed why he was so late, and the importance I place on my students and those who work for me arriving on time. He apologized profusely and eventually assured me that he would never be late to meet me again. We then discussed what he had learnt at college about care giving and he demonstrated some of his skills to me, which were impressive. 

By the time the interview finished it was midnight and he told me he had missed his last bus home and asked if he could stay the night. Although I did not employ him we stayed ion touch and he is now working in USA with his own house.

One of the first things I learnt about the Heritage hotel is they have a strange pricing policy, using Booking.com. For example, if you book room only you can get a very cheap rate (cheaper than El Nido Cove in Palawan for example- actually that’s not a good example – anywhere is cheaper than El Nido Cove, that’s why I stopped staying there!). However, if one of my long-lost friends turns up and stays overnight, and you both decide to partake of their amazing breakfast, it will cost you more than the room! So now I always book a room for 2 with two breakfasts!



Free upgrade to the Millennium floor!

The second trick I learnt is that as I stay when I arrive in the Philippines and then when I depart, if I complain on the incoming night, they upgrade me on the outgoing night. I first tried this in 2013 and got a Suite on their executive floor. Back then Wi-Fi was not included in the standard room rate, but it is when you have a suite! You also get your laundry done for free in a Suite so I save all my dirty clothes from the Islands and get them done for free before I fly home!



My beautiful suite


With free gifts...


What could it be?????


Yayyy, Dherrick was so hungry he enjoyed eating my nuts


0This is where the interview started


He did some ironing for me


I always top up on toiletries and slippers when I stay in Manila


The secret is to hide them in your bag each day so they give you more!
 
 
One of the things I read in a guide book about Manila is that it is so vast it will take you a long time to see it all. Each trip I research a new area to explore such as Intramuros, Chinatown, Bonifacio High street and Market Market, and further afield to Corregidor, Tagaytay and once I planned to visit Quezon city at the end of the MRT ( but ran out of time) 


The hotel pool, which is really weird as EDSA  ( one of the main highways into Manila) is outside so you can hear all the cars and coaches rumbling by as you swim


There is skating in MOA

Oh well , time to move on, and the next Blog will be about some more of the places I visited on one of my many trips out of Manila

Until then this is the British Kabayan signing out

Ingat Palagi

Kita Kits

My coach is ready to depart!



Heading off on another adventure with Victory Liner
 


No comments:

Post a Comment