TBK travels in the Philippines- part six- Baguio - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Friday, October 25, 2019

TBK travels in the Philippines- part six- Baguio

 

Publicity shot for the lake at Burnham park in Baguio

When I was preparing to move to Palawan I decided to learn Tagalog. There are so many languages spoken in the Philippines ( Bisaya, Ilocano etc.) so I choose to learn Malandi Tagalog. I would find a gwapo Kuya on line and strike up a conversation.

" Magandang Umaga, Ka musta ka Po?" and so on. 


The same lake when I visited!
 

Usually the conversation got round to where I came from and often they were surprised when they found out I was a Maputing Tao ( white man) from England, but I spoke Tagalog. Then they would ask if I had a Filipino wife or had been to the Philippines and I would tell them all about my travels in your beautiful country. Soon I realised I had seen more of the Philippines than most OFW! Sadly they save up to go abroad ( medicals, recruitment fees, accommodation etc.) and then work hard 6 days a week, 12 hrs. a day to send money home for their loved ones. After 2 years  they get a free flight home but are so exhausted, and missed their family so much, that they usually just stay at home . They catch up on the last two years, distribute pasalubong for nephews, cousins, and children, pay for everything ( as they are the rich OFW) and then go back to work to pay off their debts.



My tour guide back in 2011, Jeff, who used to work in Bahrain 

As a white man working in the Middle East with a tax free salary earning a lot more than my Pinoy OFW friends earn I was able to afford long luxurious vacations in the Philippines for 10 of the 12 years before I moved here. Sadly they closed the borders to Foreign tourists due to COV 19 in 2020 so I was unable to visit in 2021 or 2022.  I also had some great guides like Kuya Vin in Vigan, and Jeff in Baguio, and many helpful tips on where to go from my Pinoy coworkers and Pinoy friends in Bahrain.


One of many statues ( roads, parks etc.) dedicated to Jose Rizal to be found all over the Philippines

One of the first places I visited was Baguio, the Summer capital of the Philippines, high in the mountains north of Manila. It is the home of Kuya Coco and is visited by Manny Pacquiao. There are also two Universities there- The University of Cordilleras and the University of Baguio. So the place is full of cute Sariwa Pogi guys! Coco advised me to travel there from Manila in the Victory Liner coach and stay at the Microtel which was above the Victory Liner Terminal. A great choice, and I stay with Microtel now whenever I can in Boracay, Puerto Princessa etc.


 


Not far to walk to the coach!

Unfortunately the week I went to Baguio it had been raining heavily and a few days before I got on the coach a landslide caused the civic tip to slide down the mountain. This killed many poor people scavenging and living on the tip, and blocked roads. It was night time as we edged slowly up the treacherous road to Baguio in the pouring rain and I sat in the middle of the coach leaving the window seat to my OFW friend from Bahrain, Jeff , who was my guide on that trip. It was only when we drove back down the road a few days later in the day time that I realised how steep the road was and how far we would have rolled down the mountain in the coach if the driver had misjudged one of the hairpin bends. My hats off to all the Victory Liner drivers who have kept me safe in my travels!


A common sight at Camp John Haigh



The Mile Hi Centre and Inn- now a Conference Centre and hotel

Baguio itself was delightful. So many young people, beautiful scenery and the smell of pine needles everywhere. We had a taxi to Camp John Haigh , once an American base, now luxury hotels and a conference centre.  However you can still see American Veterans , who never went home , riding around on horses. 

There is also, in Baguio itself, a wonderful golf course at Baguio country club and a boating lake in Burnham park ( although it rained when we went there- they still asked if I wanted to go out in a boat like some Baliw students!) 


Colourful Baguio Market

We had lots of long walks, bought lots of traditional Baguio Pasalubong ( Wallis Tamboo, Peanut Brittle and Strawberry Jam)  and watched Manny Pacquiao and his squad training for his next fight on the road up to Baguio. Coco explained that the Senator lives in Visayas but sometimes visited Baguio for altitude training.



A Jeepney full of Cucumbers, delivering daily from the farm to the market

Sadly , all too soon, it was time to move on back to Manila and we found out, for a small extra payment, there was a Luxury Victory Liner with a toilet, water and Sky flakes which went non stop down the highway to Manila ( shortening the journey from 7 hours to 5). We booked and arrived early at 8.45 am for the 9 am bus to find it was cancelled! Then we had to wait until 10 am , arriving in Manila at the same time as the 9 am slow bus! 



At last the rain stopped and the sun came out


The British Kubayan with a Pinoy heart of gold , soaking up the sun in Baguio in 2011

The joys of travels in the Philippines. I hope you enjoyed my Blog .

Until then, Kabayan, Ingat Palagi, Mahal Kita ........Kita kits



At Camp John Haigh in Baguio

This is the British Kubayan, an Englishman with a Pinoy heart of gold, signing out 



My favourite photo that I took at the Jeepney Station. It was on my wall in Awali for 10 years but is now in storage in Palawan.
 

Special thanks to my wonderful Kuya, Coco, from Baguio for being my wonderful Kuya for the last 12 years. I love his beautiful paintings and food and he helped make sure I got all the names write in this blog- Salamat po, Mahal Kita xx

Until the next time ....

 

        
                         Thanks Chester for the wonderful Blog footers for my new blog

 

No comments:

Post a Comment