Inspiring Kabayan twenty two - My first Anak , Jhoanna - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Inspiring Kabayan twenty two - My first Anak , Jhoanna

The OJT's and Marnel at Lio

In 2019 , the last time I stayed at El Nido Cove, I met a group of students from a local school who were in their final year and completing their On Job Training (OJT) at the hotel. The memories flooded back of when I had been 16 and done OJT in a hotel in the UK. I loved it so much I did a degree in Hotel Management, and eventually became group Training Manager for Accor UK and Ireland hotels. Since then anyone working in the hospitality industry has had my admiration . I know how hard they work. I know how little they get paid. So I always tip the room attendants and restaurant staff when I stay in a hotel or eat out.


Jhoanna at Lio

As usual I chatted to the students as they worked in Reception , cleaning rooms and serving food. They were always polite and smiling and spoke good English. The other thing that really struck me is how the hotel staff at Cove looked after them- taking them to social events like volleyball and  on courses and team building activities. They acted as mentors to the students and I know that many are still in touch now on Facebook.

The OJT and staff also joined me on a beach clean up on the beach at El Nido, following my blog about how El Nido was no longer paradise.


The OJT, staff and Pest control guy carry the waste we found on the beach back to the hotel to recycle

The girls worked really hard that day to clean up the beach



Baliw Catriona

 

For the last few days of that vacation I went to stay at Lio and the same students were working there so we all caught up and chatted again. One chatted more than the others . When I discovered her dad had died when she was young, and she wanted to move away from her home near El Nido to attend University in Puerto Princessa I decided to help support her. Her name is Jhoanna and she was in her second year at PSU. We talked most days on Facebook and I enjoyed seeing her again in Puerto after Christmas 2019 and went to stay with her family when we helped Mama Jam at a HOPE Event. Jhoanna also participated in a cookery lesson with me at Poochies Kitchen in Puerto in January 2020. 

Jhoanna and friends at Palawan State University ( PSU)   

 

Jhoanna was the second person I support at school/ College in the Philippines- the first was Aimae ( who I will tell you about in another blog) .

Jhoanna and the other OJT at Lio

I set her 5 rules to follow to maintain her sponsorship and she has done really well. As I took on more scholars ( Grecil, TJ and Kit) she has helped guide them and distribute the money I send them every semester, When I was moving to Palawan in February 2021 she helped set up my house with Grecil and unpacked my air freight.

I am looking forward to seeing her complete her course and have no doubt she will make a great Hotel Manager one day! Then when she leaves University in 2022 her step-sister, Elay, will be 18 and hopefully I will sponsor her and eventually her little brother, Making, who will be 14 in September 2021. Then all three can look after Tatay in his old age in Palawan!

.

Jhoanna in her last year at school

I will tell you more about our adventures together in forthcoming blogs.

Until then this is the British Kubayan signing out from Puerto Princessa, in Palawan, on the dawn of a new decade

Ingat 

Kita kits xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment