TBK asks- is OCD compatible with a 4 month old puppy Labrador? - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Sunday, August 7, 2022

TBK asks- is OCD compatible with a 4 month old puppy Labrador?

                                

                          Chester prefers to mess up the towels and sleep on the floor!

So I wash the towels daily and place 2 in a neat square on top of each other for Chester, my new Labrador puppy to lie on. What more could he want, clean fresh towels to lie on? Well you can see from the picture above - he wants to drag it around the room and shake it and throw it back in a mess! Is this compatible with my OCD- No!

OK now some of you are asking what's OCD?

Over to you Wikipedia....

"Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental and behavioral disorder in which an individual has intrusive thoughts and/or feels the need to perform certain routines repeatedly to the extent where it induces distress or impairs general function.[8][1][2] As indicated by the disorder's name, the primary symptoms of OCD are obsessions and compulsions. Obsessions are persistent unwanted thoughts, mental images, or urges that generate feelings of anxietydisgust, or discomfort.[9] Common obsessions include fear of contamination, obsession with symmetry, and intrusive thoughts about religionsex, and harm.[1][10] Compulsions are repeated actions or routines that occur in response to obsessions. Common compulsions include excessive hand washingcleaning, arranging things, counting, seeking reassurance, and checking things.[1][10][11] Many adults with OCD are aware that their compulsions do not make sense, but they perform them anyway to relieve the distress caused by obsessions.[1][9][10][12] Compulsions occur so often, typically taking up at least one hour per day, that they impair one's quality of life.[1][10]"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

( accessed 6.8.22)

For more information on how OCD affects me you can read this earlier Blog:

https://thebritishkabayan.blogspot.com/2022/01/tbk-has-ocd.html

My friend asked the other day of I was on medication for it and the answer was no. It's actually a lot milder now than it was.

"Tell them the story , Mr P"

"Ok Mr G"

Many years ago in the UK I had maybe 200 Videos in cases neatly arranged in numerical order on shelves, and a little booklet with 200 pages saying what was on each video ( anyone under 30 will have to Google "video" )


                   This was the closest I could find on Google images!

At a party I noticed two friends ( we will call them Phil and Huw) taking the videos out of the cases one by one and then putting them back. I saw them do this several times , and thought maybe they were trying to find a particular video. It was only a few weeks later I went to find Video 42, a particular movie I wanted to see and found video 1 in its box. In 1 I found 33 and so on, until I realised they had swapped every single video. I decided not to rearrange them! Prior to that ( I know I am showing my age now) I had 300 music cassettes arranged alphabetically by artist! Every time I bought a new cassette I had to move all the others down to fit it in!


                           Cassettes for my Millennial readers!

The good news is I now have 600 CD's and they are not in any kind of order! In fact its taken Julios and I days to find the cases for the CD's I kept in a case in Bahrain to play in my car while I was waiting to move to Palawan.


The CD's are neatly displayed in new mahogany units made to measure by Rodel Furniture but not in any kind of order.

If you ask my last houseboy in Bahrain , Corleen , what OCD meant he would say 

ROY G BIV

The colours of the rainbow

Red

Orange

Yellow

Green

Blue

Indigo

Violet

He had to learn that to hang up my shirts after he ironed them - all facing the same way in Rainbow colour order. I have all different hangers now ( I have 48 tee shirts and as part of my OCD count them every time my ironing is done and I put them away) but I still insist on the rainbow order.


               My wardrobe in Palawan- all tee shirts hung in Rainbow order

So what's with the 4 month old puppy Labrador?

Many years ago I owned a Labrador named Trixie and she came everywhere with me- to work, on vacation , even to the opening of the First Little Chef in Ireland for a month! Then my company car was downsized from an Estate car to a saloon and the girl I was living with took Trixie when she walked out.


           Trixie mystery dining in the UK back in 1995

I vowed that when I could I would get another Labrador. Sadly we were not allowed to have dogs in Awali in Bahrain but it's not a problem here in Palawan. So, after many months searching, we found a then 3 month old Labrador puppy and called him Chester!

                            A rare photo of Chester sitting up by Jhoanna

The owner told me I would need plenty of patience! He is always eating something ( shoes, slippers, towels, rugs, clothes. paper, scrapbooks, wooden furniture etc.)

Former colleague, Richard Atkinson , asked whether it was true that a " LABRADORK is a toddler in a fur suit!" - very true Richard!

He is very messy, preferring to pull his towels ( bedding) around the room and make it into a heap, rather than the neat bed I try and create for him in my office ( day) or bedroom ( night). We bought him several toys and he constantly leaves these all over the house causing me to regularly trip over his squeaky green ball, orange bone or red Van shoe! As you can imagine his behavior is in total conflict with my OCD! Last night a friend came to stay and Chester got jealous and dragged his shoe all around the house and sat eating it outside the bedroom door!


How the bed starts off and Chester with his "butter would not melt in my mouth" look


                   A few minutes later, Chester with his "Who me??!! " look

So back to the medication question. Do I need to take more tablets ( I already take 6 a day for my Diabetes and Cholesterol and allergies)? The answer is , of course, NO! Chester is just the medicine I need.


                          I found the solution, remove the towel!!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment