TBK Travels- The Best of Dubai 2022 - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Sunday, January 30, 2022

TBK Travels- The Best of Dubai 2022

 
My favourite photo of me- taken by Joshua on Christmas day 2021. Christmas is not usually a good time for single people, and having retired in Feb 2021 and sent all my belongings to Palawan in December 2020 I had really set my heart on being there for Christmas this year. However it was not to be , and luckily I was not,  as Palawan was hit by Typhoon Odette on December 18. Many homes were destroyed and some people are still without electricity as I write this in February 2022.


            TBK and Thang at the Marriott Dubai Harbour Hotel & Suites

However this Christmas, thanks to my friends in Dubai , turned out to be the best ever. Joshua and I had an amazing Brunch at the Marriott Dubai Harbour Hotel & Suites. We were in the Observatory on the 52nd floor with amazing views of Dubai. The food was sumptuous and never ending and our waitress Ruth, and my friend Thang looked after us so well. You can read more by clicking the link below:

Christmas day Brunch in Dubai


                      Just a small part of our Christmas Brunch

After our amazing meal we headed to Expo and waited patiently for the concert in the evening with Lea Salonga . As she said 

" It is a miracle we are here.... this is my first live concert since March 2020... I think many of these eyes belong to the Philippines"

I felt so warm and happy surrounded by thousands of my singing smiling excited happy Kabayan for this very special night. You can see Joshua and Chester's edited highlights here:

Lea Salonga in Dubai - Christmas day 2021

and thanks to Team Lea and Expo 2020 the full concert is here:

Lea Salonga , full concert

Sadly not everything went according to plan, on two occasions Ain Dubai, the tallest Big wheel in the world was grounded due to high winds but as the guys there explained to me:

" Better to be safe down here , sir, than stuck up there!"

You can see the Vlog of our trip to Ain Dubai here:

Windy Day at Bluewater

Instead we had an amazing meal, one of many on this trip, at JBR - with succulent lamb chops and the best Kunafa ever , served hot at the table!


           Wind stops the wheel- on a very cold and windy day at Ain Dubai

However Jeboy and I had a load of fun making Cheesey cakes and walking on JBR and visiting Miracle Gardens on the last day of January!

You can see how to make Jeboy's Cheesey cake here:

Jeboy's Cheesey cake - part one

Jeboy's Cheesey cake- part two

Lea Salonga was not the only concert we went to... MK and I went to see the Boxtones Duo at Offside, the sports bar of JA Ocean's view , where I stayed with Erickson just before Christmas in 2020. It was a great night and after we went for ice cream on the beach at JBR at Midnight! Dubai is a city that never sleeps. You can see the Boxtones Duo play here:

The Boxtones Duo play live in Dubai- 23 December 2021

There is so much to do in Dubai in the winter months. As well as the amazing Expo 2020 ( 10 million visitors in the first 6 weeks) Global Village was back for its 26 th season, with new features like the Thai Railway market ( where I had some of my favourite Mangoes with Sticky rice) and the floating market ( much better than the one at Thai mart in Bahrain!). Thanks to our cameraman at Global Village, Thang, and to our waiter from Assam who served us a great Indian Meal. You can see our trip to Global Village here:

A night at Global Village with Thang

It was great catching up with all my old friends John Ric, MK,  Jeboy, Thang and Joshua and also Erickson. He is working in Abu Dhabi now but visited twice to taste my Kare Kare!


              Making Kare Kare with MK- ready for Erickson's visit

MK also came with me to old favourite restaurant Al Ulstad where we had some amazing kebabs , and to the best Pakistani Restaurant in Dubai- Nayaab Handi . Here we had so much food I could hardly walk back to the hotel!

You can see more of my adventures with MK here:

MK's Beef Kare Kare

MK eats at Al Ulstad and drinks at Sherlock Holmes bar

As I draw to a close I want to thank all my friends in Dubai for making my final trip here in Dubai so much fun! Also to Chester for editing all the Vlogs and updating the Blog format for 2022. 

I would also like to thank all the amazing hotel staff who have looked after me so well. I started at the IBIS Al Barsha where I stayed for two weeks. The staff were so kind and friendly I went back once a week for breakfast until I left Dubai! 

After Christmas I moved to IBIS Styles where Monsieur Shafi and his team looked after me so well upgrading me to an amazing room.


The view from my room at IBIS Styles Jumeira from where I saw the Fireworks at Midnight on 31.12.21

However the best hotel of the vacation this time was undoubtably Aparthotel Adagio Premium Dubai Al Barsha where i spent 44 amazing nights in my spacious apartment on the 24th Floor. Special thanks to Jovi and the receptionists, Ann and the two beautiful Pinays in the Java Café, and my Personal Trainer Bazz in the gym and my two Thai masseuses. 


            The sunrises- from my apartment at Adagio on the 23rd Floor

With a special rate from the Sales Manager Maria, discounts at Café Java, the gym and for the massages and with Jeboy and Joshua doing all my laundry I even nearly came in on budget this trip for the first time ever!

You can see the vlog of my Adagio Apartment by clicking the link below:

Adagio Apartment - January 2022


                          My lounge and dining room at Adagio

So it's been an amazing two months in Dubai while I wait for my visa to the Philippines, and I hope you have enjoyed reading about it and watching the vlogs as much as I have enjoyed putting them together. As usual thanks to our regular readers for their feedback. Someone said it was like being here in Dubai with me and Brian said " great comments and pictures". Thanks all. The vlogs have been well received as well with comments like: "Incredible video! Love it!" . Thanks Ann!

Thanks everyone and apologies to all those I missed out- and there are still lots more vlogs from Dubai like the day Joshua and I went to Green Planet:

Joshua at Green Planet, Dubai


  The shy John Ric relaxes in my apartment at Adagio

So now the plan is to return to Bahrain, update the documents I obtained a year ago for my Retirement Visa ( SSRV) . Then I need to have them apostilled, transfer my SSRV fees and bond to the account for the PRA ( Philippine Retirement Authority) and get my EED ( Entry Exemption Document ) so I can enter the Philippines after a one year wait.

I will of course keep you updated once I get there!

Until then- Ingat Palagi and Kita Kits.

This is The British Kabayan signing out one last time from Dubai!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment