TBK cooks - Inspiring Kabayan series Eight - Cooking with my Kuya, Chef Coco - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

TBK cooks - Inspiring Kabayan series Eight - Cooking with my Kuya, Chef Coco

       My last Birthday card for Coco, a Chester Delos - Santos Porter production


Looking back on the last 11 years in Bahrain I think one of the things I enjoyed most was cooking with my Kuya. Chef Coco and I met soon after I arrived in Bahrain and when he politely turned down my advances he said he would be happy to be my Kuya. For the non Kabayan "Kuya" means older brother and is a great honor to have bestowed upon you. It has been my pleasure to have supported Coco through the ups and downs of his life in Bahrain, and I have met many of his wonderful friends like Mama Jam and Tin Tin. I have eaten at the many places he has worked like L'Hotel ( after it closed and reopened as Asdal Gulf) , The Plaza food hall, Hani Suites, and Lantana. In between his jobs Coco has made me Birthday cakes, Happy Holiday cakes, Just because cakes and cooked at many of my parties from Cup cakes to Touron and a cake that looked like a Chef ( which Corleen, or was it Palaka or maybe Pusa, stole)  .

When Chef Coco came and showed me how to make Touron, a Pinoy favourite


I love watching him cook, he is so professional, he reads carefully through the recipe to ensure there are no hidden traps ( like Marinade overnight) and he gets all the ingredients prepared before he starts work. He cleans as he goes and everything is beautifully presented.

As well as cooking with and for me he has advised me on the finer points of life in the Philippines like "Don't give everyone money" and the name of a good hotel in Baguio ( The Microtel, just above the Victory Liner terminal) and so on.

My 58th Birthday present from Coco- a painting of my dog Trixie

I think the thing that touched me the most is that he has always bought me wonderful presents like cook books, my first Chef Neil apron and food hampers, however little money he may have. As well as being an amazing Chef he is a talented artist and I have had many of his beautiful paintings as gifts. He always joins in the fun with my other Pinoy friends like Corleen, Jake, Joshua and Patrick and has acted as a model for one of my Calendars. I always remember one time we went for hair Colouring for Mama Jam so I could take it to him in Palawan on Vacation. We could not find what Jam wanted in one shop so he decided to cross the 6 lane fast moving highway dragging me behind. I have never been so scared in my life!

                                      Chef Coco - the star of my 2019 calendar

He is always kind, polite and friendly and has made a great impression on all my friends and work colleagues like Kuya Dino and Vin , Ate Hazel, Miss Andrea ,  Anis and Nini, Adam and the crew. In 2021 he bought a lovely job called Nugget and they are very well suited!

Coco, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your unconditional love and I look forward to welcoming you to my new home in the Philippines so we can cook together again!

Mahal kita, Ingat, Kita kits Kuya xx



No comments:

Post a Comment