TBK travels in the Philippines- part four- Maarte Sosyal Cebu - TBK in 2024!

Happy New Year from the British Kabayan or in Tagalog we say "Maligayang bagong Taon" Ang taong 2024 ay ang pangalawang taon ko bilang retirado sa isla ng Palawan, at si Chester at ako ay magkakaroon ng iba't ibang karanasan na ibabahagi namin sa inyo dito sa aking blog. Maraming salamat kay Luis para sa mga bagong TBK cartoons!

New Stories!

Monday, November 15, 2021

TBK travels in the Philippines- part four- Maarte Sosyal Cebu

 

The so called Cebu Grand Hotel

They call Cebu "the Queen of the south" and contrary to popular rumour I don't really like Maarte Sosyal Queens. When I booked my first Philippine Island tour in 2011 I left the hotel choice to my then friend Jeff on the basis he lived there and I was in Bahrain. Big Mistake, I have actually seen more of the Philippines than most Pinoys! The second mistake was falling for a Grand name. Maybe there was a time many years ago when the Grand Hotel was considered grand, but not in 2011 when I visited and looked out of my window onto a building site. Websites can be deceptive too, we spent two days looking for the swimming pool and eventually found a paddling pool on the roof.



Plaza Independencia

Our sightseeing took us to many historic site such as Plaza Independencia and Casa Gorordo and I am sure Phil will be happy to hear that I won't copy and paste from Wikipedia in this blog! If you want to find out more just use Google. I will just show you a selection of my photos. 



The guide books told us not to miss this place, but when we went it was closed!

The nice security guard, who explained the opening hours, did let us sit in the sun and take some photos.


Jeff


The British Kabayan


We were not the only ones to be disappointed by it's closure


Well, what can I say?

At least it was not raining like Subic and Baguio. We visited ion September, the first of the BER months ( SeptemBER, OctoBER, NovemBER and DecemBER) so as the Philippines celebrates Christmas for 4 months , they had their decorations up in the Malls!




Christmas in September in Cebu


 


Neil looking old and an even older building



 

The new face of Cebu



Neil posing at Ayala Mall


Just down the road from our hotel


Home to banks and call centres

So that was Cebu, back on the plane now for our next stop, Beautiful Bohol

Until then Ingat and Kita kits


from 

The British Kabayan




The island airports are very simple affairs!


No comments:

Post a Comment